× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wiped my ReadyNAS and performed a Factory Reset and now System Root 100%

Govnah
Aspirant

Wiped my ReadyNAS and performed a Factory Reset and now System Root 100%

Wiped my ReadyNAS and performed a Factory Reset and now System Root 100%, running latest GA firmware 6.6.1...

/dev/md0 4190208 3846172 644 100% /

The only thing that chnaged on my RN516 is I installed Roon Server, Roon Server installs to /var and /opt. I assume this is my problem, but not sure. I have posted on how to manually uninstall Roon Server in the Roon forum becuase there is no uninstall script to determine if that is the issue.

In the interim is anthing in addition I can check to eliminate that Roon Server is the issue?

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Govnah wrote:

The only thing that changed on my RN516 is I installed Roon Server, Roon Server installs to /var and /opt.

Almost certainly that's the problem.  If you have ssh access, you can copy the Roon stuff in /var and /opts to folders in /apps, and then delete the /var and /opts versions.  Then create soft links in /var and /opts to the copied files.  /apps is part of the data volume (it is a remount of /data/.apps).

Message 2 of 14
Govnah
Aspirant

Stephen, thank for the reply. I will attempt to move the files anc create the soft links, that may be above my Linux expertise but I will try - I do have SSH access and have basic understanding of Linux. Any Linux consultatnts I could compensate to assist if needed :)?

Thanks

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

The soft links (sometimes called symlinks or symbolic links) are created with the ln command.

For instance if you move a folder called foldername from /var to /apps, you'd then create the link in /var with

ln -s /apps/foldername /var/foldername

There is more info on the ln command here: http://www.computerhope.com/unix/uln.htm

Message 4 of 14
Govnah
Aspirant

Also, I assume I would use the mv command, for example mv -r -f /opt/Roonserver /apps and mv -f -r /var/roon to /apps. The crete the link, ln -s /apps/var/rooon /opt/Roonserver and ln -s /apps/roon /var/roon ?

Thanks Again!

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Govnah wrote:

Also, I assume I would use the mv command, for example mv -r -f /opt/Roonserver /apps and mv -f -r /var/roon to /apps. The crete the link, ln -s /apps/var/rooon /opt/Roonserver and ln -s /apps/roon /var/roon ?

Exactly (though I think you meant ln -s /apps/Roonserver /opt/Roonserver).  You could of course use cp and then rm instead of mv.

I'd use a parent folder in /apps to keep everything together - maybe /apps/roon/roon and /apps/roon/Roonserver.

Message 6 of 14
Govnah
Aspirant

Will do and report back. Hopefully this will help others wanting to run RoonServer on the ReadyNAS.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
Govnah
Aspirant

Didn't work 😞 still wants to write to /dev/MD0. I have posted in the Roon forum and curious if they have any feedback. There is a package for both QNAP and Synology, be nice if someone wrote one for the ReadyNAS 🙂

There is a manual install that allows for configuration which I am going to attempt and report back.

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Govnah wrote:

Didn't work 😞 still wants to write to /dev/MD0.

To what folders?  Does df still show the root partition is full?

Message 9 of 14
Govnah
Aspirant

After I stopped the roonserver service, deleted /var/roon and /opt/RoonServer, and restarted the service, the service failed to start.

However, after moving the data, creating the links, and restarting the serive, roonserver service started fine but as soon I started to add music/data to roon - /dev/MD0 started to increase dramatically. 

Here is the instructions from Roon:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

See this:

Configuring the Data Location

By default, Roon Server creates hidden directories called .RoonServer and .RAATServer inside of $HOME. Roon Bridge also uses the .RAATServer directory.

You can tell Roon Server and Roon Bridge to put that data someplace else using the $ROON_DATAROOTenvironment variable.

For example, if you were installing this is a "traditional" system service on unix, you might want Roon's data to live in /var/roon. You could run Roon Server that way like this:

$ ROON_DATAROOT=/var/roon ./start.sh

If you are running both Roon Server and Roon Bridge on a single machine, they must have the same value for this environment variable.

By default, Logs are located in $HOME/.RoonServer/Logs and $HOME/.RAATServer/Logs.

If you've customized $ROON_DATAROOT, then they will be located in $ROON_DATAROOT/RoonServer/Logsand $ROON_DATAROOT/RAATServer/Logs

Any suggestions on how I go about editing the env variables? I will google and see what I come up with.

Going to try the manual install...

Thanks

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

EDIT: my reply crossed your post (I saw your most recent post after mine was posted).

@Govnah wrote:

However, after moving the data, creating the links, and restarting the serive, roonserver service started fine but as soon I started to add music/data to roon - /dev/MD0 started to increase dramatically. 

I think the problem is here: By default, Roon Server creates hidden directories called .RoonServer and .RAATServer inside of $HOME. Roon Bridge also uses the .RAATServer directory.

Setting ROON_DATAROOT=/apps/roon should fix that.  So try to track down where that should be done.

If you can't find it, then 

cd $home

ls -al

and confirm that the two hidden directories are there.  If they are, you can move them to /apps/roon too, and create soft links for them.

Message 11 of 14
Govnah
Aspirant

Stephen,

Can you mind providing some input on setting the env variable and I assume for a non-logged in user. I have attempted but Roon still writing to /dv/md0 😞

I updated/edited .bashrc located $HOME...

ROON_DATAROOT=/apps/roon/RoonServer ./start.sh

Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Govnah wrote:

Can you mind providing some input on setting the env variable and I assume for a non-logged in user. I have attempted but Roon still writing to /dv/md0 😞

I don't know the right place to put this.  You'd want it to remain untouched when you upgrade the NAS firmware.

If it were me, I'd just move the two hidden folders to /apps/roon and create links for them too.

Message 13 of 14
Govnah
Aspirant

Was able to get it going and moving the DB and logs to /apps by modifying the install script and the following URL/thread below:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/howto-customising-roon-database-location-in-easy-installer-scripts/...

Thanks for the help!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements