× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Won't boot, won't boot menu, won't boot USB recovery, WILL boot other OS via USB

sstillwell
Tutor

Won't boot, won't boot menu, won't boot USB recovery, WILL boot other OS via USB

Well, the subject says it all.  The unit WAS working, but now won't boot normally, won't boot into the boot menu (hold reset, press power on, wait for boot menu).  All I get is the ReadyNAS text on the LED screen.

Booting to the USB Recovery gives me a few flickers of the thumb drive's activity light, but no other joy.  I've tried four different USB sticks of varying sizes and ages.

What's weird is that if I burn a USB thumb drive with the bootloader for Xpenology, I can use the boot from USB function (hold down Backup, press power) to boot into THAT, and it DOES come up and I'm able to find it as a faux-Diskstation.

In all cases the LED display never changes from the initial ReadyNAS text.

Where do I go from here?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6610|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Won't boot, won't boot menu, won't boot USB recovery, WILL boot other OS via USB

Is it recognised properly as a Pro?

Well if the fans are spinning properly perhaps power it down and check for a build up of dust. This unit would be pretty old by now.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You’ve got a PM.

This will require further investigation.

Message 2 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well writing a raw image of the flash to the internal USB key seems to have worked fine.

Not sure why USB Boot Recovery didn't work.

Message 3 of 8
sstillwell
Tutor

Something else may be going on - I've created a new volume on scratch disks and it's resyncing, but CPU temperature is 89C and I'm getting warnings.  CPU fan is running.  ALL fans are running pretty high speed.

Message 4 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is it recognised properly as a Pro?

Well if the fans are spinning properly perhaps power it down and check for a build up of dust. This unit would be pretty old by now.

Message 5 of 8
sstillwell
Tutor

I already had it opened up earlier to check for loose cabling, etc. - it looks surprisingly clean.  When the resync finishes I guess I'll have a look to make sure the CPU heatsink is tightened down properly - it might have loosened up during shipment here.

Message 6 of 8
sstillwell
Tutor

Hmm, doesn't look like the picture came through.  Yes, it shows up as a ReadyNAS Pro.

Message 7 of 8
sstillwell
Tutor

There we go, that did the trick!  There was a little bit of dust in the heatsink, but nothing horrible.  What WAS a problem was that two of the spring-loaded screws holding the heat sink down were not anywhere close to tight - they were on opposite corners, so the heat sink was kinda on correctly, but once I tightened everything back, buttoned it back up and powered back on, the temperature dropped by nearly half (from 91 C down to 46 C) and the fans are nearly silent now.  I'm betting this has been a problem for a while and that the excess heat had something to do with the EEPROM going wonky.

Hurray!  Thank you for your above-and-beyond assistance...much appreciated.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements