× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wrong version of firmware loaded from Netgear

JanOli4
Aspirant

Wrong version of firmware loaded from Netgear

Hello,

I am using my readynas202 for a year and had a hard disk crash on my laptop, restoring the data from the netgear was awsome, the 1 Gb line was very slow and I had to split the data in piece of less than 5Gb to get everything restored.

So I decide to rebuild the software on the system which is by the way about 9 months old, the service from netgear sucks and I my believe there is a huge mistake in one of their procedures. On the internet I see many people who have the same problem, but without any solution. I can open a session on port 80 on the readynas and manage the debian kernel, at the moment I want to open the admin page over a webservice I see that the procedure is hanging on a javascript frontview_6.6.9174.792 and that is very odd as this is an ARM processor which should use dashboard instead of frontview to handle webservice request . If I look on the READYNAS and use the standaard linux command I see that Frontview is installed insteed of dashboard, you could of course install dashboard and deinstall frontview on the debian kernel, but this won't be the solution as all the other programs are not configured to use dashboard.

How do you install the correct version of firmware on the READYNA, mine says it is using 6.7.1 ??

Model: ReadyNAS RND2220|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Wrong version of firmware loaded from Netgear

If you attempted to load a firmware for the wrong architecture the system would let you know and not proceed.

You could try clearing your web browser cache, closing your web browser then reopen the web admin page.

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I find your concern confusing.  As far as I know only OS5 systems use dashboard.

Message 3 of 9
JanOli4
Aspirant

What is confusing me is that the readynas was very slow and something was wrong with the netwerk setttings.

I updated the firmware via the admin web interface and since them I cannot access the admin webpage or any other webpage on the NAS anymore.

I tried a hard restore of the OS with the reset button on the NAS, but the problem was not solved, despite that no apps were installed.

As I see that Frontview is installed and this is an ARM equipted system, something is really wrong.

The problem now is that I only can restinstall software using a terminal interface over port 80 direct on the Linux prompt.

That should not be the problem as this was my profession, I am now retired. The only thing I want to know how to install the correct OS version, which tools must I remove  and which must be installed. I expect there is a script somewhere who does this for you.

If a use raidar I get the message that the system is sound and no failures are found, which is correct as I can still access my data on the NAS, but the problem is that I cannot manage the NAS anymore, opening the index page on the NAS results in a query for password and account and the a long time trying to connect ending with the message that the NAS refused the connection.

I have the latest image of the correct OS ReadyNASOS-6.7.4-arm.zip but if I see the installation guide of netgear this is all done thru the admin webinterface and that is not working, so we have a nice problem.

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

To be clear, this is a community forum, and I do not work for Netgear.

Can you confirm that you are running an RN202, and not a ReadyNAS Duo v2?

@JanOli4 wrote:

As I see that Frontview is installed and this is an ARM equipted system, something is really wrong.

Can you tell me exactly what command you entered that tells you that frontview is installed?

"Frontview" does show up in OS 6 systems (both ARM and x86).  For instance /frontview, /var/log/frontview and /etc/frontview all exist.

"Dashboard" only shows up as a subfolder of /frontview.

I not saying that there is nothing wrong.  But trying to uninstall part of the Netgear firmware and then manually install some other part of Netgear firmware instead is not going to work.

We need more information.

Message 5 of 9
JanOli4
Aspirant

It is a ReadyNAS 202 , firmware version 6.7.1 according RAIDar.

The odd thing is that I read and write to my network virtual disk on the ReadyNAS, RAIDar says that every thing is Oke when I start a diagnose.

When I try to open the admin page from RAIDar I get inmediately the message:

This site is not rechable

192.168.178.* refused the connection.

If I open 192.168.178.*/index I get a query for an username and password, next thing is that it hangs after some time in a javescript Frontview-6.6.9174.js line 83.

If I open a SHH client on port 80 of 192.168.178.* I get a terminal window after a username password login and can see and manage everything on the Debian Kernel.

So there must be an error somewhere, which can be a wrong configuration file, wrong priveliges or a a wrong version of any program in Debain.

To find this will be very hard, so I tried already 2 times to restore the readynas OS by using the reset button on the device itself and do an OS reinstall, but this doesn't give any improvement.

As I don't have documentation of the internals of this device, the only sound solution is to reinstall everything, but I don't want to lose my data on the NAS as this is rather much and contains a lot of photo's, music, ebooks and other important data like my legacy database and my record collection database.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@JanOli4 wrote:

I don't want to lose my data on the NAS as this is rather much and contains a lot of photo's, music, ebooks and other important data like my legacy database and my record collection database.

The best way to prevent that is to back up the data on the NAS.  I suggest that is the right next step.

After that, you could try a USB recovery, which would also upgrade the firmware to 6.7.4.

Message 7 of 9
JanOli4
Aspirant

Stephen,

This is the windows solution, if you build an OS which is so complex and unstructed as Windows this is a good solution.

But Netgear runs on a linux debian OS, which is more structured and it should be possible to find the problem.

Thanks for your support, but this is the last thing to do

I will debug the linux server and find why it refuses to act as a webserver, which is in fact the case as all other functionality works.

If I found the solution I will post it here

Regatrds jan Olivier

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@JanOli4 wrote:

if you build an OS which is so complex and unstructed as Windows

I didn't build anything here - I don't work for Netgear.

@JanOli4 wrote:

Thanks for your support, but this is the last thing to do

Up to you of course, but I believe Netgear would also recommend USB recovery in your case (or paid support).  Perhaps PM @mdgm-ntgr (using the messages link in the upper right) before you proceed -he might have some specific suggestions.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements