× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: X-RAID Expansion on RN516, do I need to wait for the resync?

Ozxpat
Aspirant

X-RAID Expansion on RN516, do I need to wait for the resync?

I'm upgrading my disks from 3TB to 12TB. I'm up to my third disk and so far so good, but it's taken four days to get this far. When I pop out a disk the array is Degraded. Then it performs a resync. After this is complete the array is redundant (all green lights on the disks under Volumes), and a second sync process is triggered. It's this final step that takes the longest (60 hours is the current estimate for the 3rd disk). Can I start the 4th disk before this sync is complete, or should I wait?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Ozxpat

Welcome to the Community!

It would be better to wait for it to complete, inserting it while it is syncing can interrupt the expansion. Adding the the 4th drive might be fine but no re-sync will happen until the current sync is in progress.

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Ozxpat

Welcome to the Community!

It would be better to wait for it to complete, inserting it while it is syncing can interrupt the expansion. Adding the the 4th drive might be fine but no re-sync will happen until the current sync is in progress.

HTH

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@Ozxpat wrote:

It's this final step that takes the longest (60 hours is the current estimate for the 3rd disk). 

And it will get longer for each disk that you upgrade.

But you need to wait.

FWIW, it would be faster to back up the NAS, then set it up again with all the 12 TB drives in place, and then restore the files from backup.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements