× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X-RAID versus X-RAID2 on ReadyNAS 516

gregb_pro
Aspirant

X-RAID versus X-RAID2 on ReadyNAS 516

I am migrating from a ReadyNAS Pro configured with X-RAID2 RAID 6 to a ReadyNAS 516.

The ReadyNAS 516 is running OS 6.1.4 and configured with five 2 TB drives (WD2003FYYS RE4). I deleted the default volume and created a new RAID 6 X-RAID volume with 5 drives (no X-RAID2 option). I want the ability to expand to six drives. The ReadyNAS 516 config (System -> Volumes) shows X-RAID / RAID-6, rather than X-RAID2 implied by the software manual. The manual and GUI are inconsistent.

Are X-RAID2 and X-RAID the same for the ReadyNAS 516 ?
Thanks, gregb
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: X-RAID versus X-RAID2 on ReadyNAS 516

X-RAID is only found on the legacy Sparc models discontinued a few years (and earlier) back.

X-RAID2 is used by ReadyNAS OS 6. X-RAID2 allows for vertical expansion when replacing just two disks (using single-redundancy) or four disks (using dual-redundancy) whereas using X-RAID on the Sparc models you had to replace all drives with higher capacity ones to get vertical expansion.
Message 2 of 3
gregb_pro
Aspirant

Re: X-RAID versus X-RAID2 on ReadyNAS 516

OK, good. I assumed the OS 6.1.4 GUI is misleading since it shows "X-RAID" (System -> Volumes).
Thanks, gregb
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements