× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X-Raid Replace Failed Disk and optimize performance

Labdoc1
Luminary

X-Raid Replace Failed Disk and optimize performance

Question: Considering the relatively new RAID configuration 'wizard' in FW 6.10.2, is there an option to optimize performance of my system which currently uses X-RAID with 6 x 4TB disks?

Background: Running X-RAID with 6 x 4TB 5900 rpm drives. One has failed and I will replace this.The volume is only 40% full. Firmware is latest 6.10.2.  Although the Readynas Pro Pioneer is old, I have upgraded the cpu and obviously the firmware. 

Obviously, a replacement is the easiest solution - swap out the old and insert a new disk. However, I am interested in whether better performance is available if I rebuild the array from backup.

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: X-Raid Replace Failed Disk and optimize performance

@Labdoc1 wrote:

However, I am interested in whether better performance is available if I rebuild the array from backup.

You could potentially look at SSD tiering (metadata-only or metadata+tiering).  That would require two slots for SSDs.

But if you have the slots, you don't need to start over - you can just switch to FlexRAID and add the tier.

Netgear has adjusted the on-disk structures (quite a while ago), so if your volume is very old, you might find you get better performance if you start fresh.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Labdoc1 wrote:

However, I am interested in whether better performance is available if I rebuild the array from backup.

You could potentially look at SSD tiering (metadata-only or metadata+tiering).  That would require two slots for SSDs.

But if you have the slots, you don't need to start over - you can just switch to FlexRAID and add the tier.

Netgear has adjusted the on-disk structures (quite a while ago), so if your volume is very old, you might find you get better performance if you start fresh.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Since the Pro Pioneer has only SATA2, I expect the gain from data tiering will be minimal.  The drive caddies also don't accept 2.5" drives natively, and there are only a few compatible adapters available.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Since the Pro Pioneer has only SATA2, I expect the gain from data tiering will be minimal. 

Well, there is still 0 seek time, which will improve performance for some things (for instance data base access).

But I agree that mounting the SSDs is a problem.

Message 4 of 5
Labdoc1
Luminary

Thank you both for the pointers. I had forgotten the SATA 2 limitation. I will stick with status quo. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements