× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XRAID-2 vs SFH-2 any real difference in space/performance & dual NAS Backup question

kevinfor2014
Guide

XRAID-2 vs SFH-2 any real difference in space/performance & dual NAS Backup question

I wanted to know is there any real difference between Netgear XRAID2 (RAID6)  and Synology SFH2 (RAID6) in terms of usable Hard drive space or performance on  4x10TB 4x8TB 4x 4TB (61.7 Tib XRAID2/RAID6) on say an RR4312X vs a similar 12 bay model 10G model from Synology.. 

we were able to aquire a brand new RR4312X from an authorized Netgear reseller for basically the price of an RN528X due to a large order cancellation from one of thier clients..... we are using that as a primary NAS XRAID2/RAID6 and we need a 2nd 12 Bay NAS as a backup (we have many smaller size HD's 2TB to 8TB HD -vs- going with a 6 or 8 bay NAS and forced to buy more expensive 10TB to 14TB drives to get to 60TB+) Buying another RR4312X is out of our budget - we looked at the R2312X but it's 934mm in depth way too big for our rack (the RR412X is only 707mm)  

So we are thinking about buying a "lower cost" 12 bay NAS with optional 10G like (RS2418+ /RC18015xs+ RS2617RPxs/RS3617xs+) from Synology but I have never used Synology or know much about SFH-2 and wanted some feedback.. on replicating from one NAS to Another or interop issues with ReadyNAS  - we are also wondering if it's worthwhile to buy an older RR3200 or RR3220 model & install OS6 or if thier are "known issues" with these models..  The primary function of this 2nd NAS is an offsite backup to the first and if their are any loud Fan issues with the older RR3220 Models..  let me know your thoughts.. thanks

Model: RR4312X| ReadyNAS 10GbE 12 Bays with up to 120TB total storage
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: XRAID-2 vs SFH-2 any real difference in space/performance & dual NAS Backup question

@kevinfor2014 wrote:

I wanted to know is there any real difference between Netgear XRAID2 (RAID6)  and Synology SFH2 (RAID6) \

I don't know much about Synology, but I am not seeing SFH2 on their web site.  Did you mean SHR-2? If so, it looks pretty similar, and likely both use mdadm underneath.  

Overall, you'd lose the option of using ReadyDR to back up your NAS if you go with Synology.  So you wouldn't be able to back up snapshots, and backing up iSCSI Luns would be much less efficient.

The ReadyNAS hardware warranty isn't transferable, so it doesn't cover used equipment.  Also, Netgear doesn't support used NAS (and wouldn't support an OS-6 conversion either).  So you'd lose support if you go with a used product.  The RN3220 is an OS-6 NAS, so no conversion would be needed. The older RN3200 is OS-4.2.x.  If you go with that, make sure you get a v2, as the v1 has a 2 TB drive limit in slots 5-12. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: XRAID-2 vs SFH-2 any real difference in space/performance & dual NAS Backup question

Hi @kevinfor2014, let me suggest, that you research the synology community for relevant contributions about nas types you might be interested in.

Though I just have a Synology router and not a nas of that brand I find it interesting to compare their community with the one NETGEAR has.

In case you want to contribute (ask questions or comment on posts) you need to create an account there.

Kind regards

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here is the link for your convenience. Researching there might also give you a good idea to what extend the forum might be helpful should you later run into issues and will seek for assistance from that user community.

https://community.synology.com/

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@kevinfor2014 wrote:

I wanted to know is there any real difference between Netgear XRAID2 (RAID6)  and Synology SFH2 (RAID6) \

I don't know much about Synology, but I am not seeing SFH2 on their web site.  Did you mean SHR-2? If so, it looks pretty similar, and likely both use mdadm underneath.  

Overall, you'd lose the option of using ReadyDR to back up your NAS if you go with Synology.  So you wouldn't be able to back up snapshots, and backing up iSCSI Luns would be much less efficient.

The ReadyNAS hardware warranty isn't transferable, so it doesn't cover used equipment.  Also, Netgear doesn't support used NAS (and wouldn't support an OS-6 conversion either).  So you'd lose support if you go with a used product.  The RN3220 is an OS-6 NAS, so no conversion would be needed. The older RN3200 is OS-4.2.x.  If you go with that, make sure you get a v2, as the v1 has a 2 TB drive limit in slots 5-12. 

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

No such thing as a 3200V2.  Only the 4200 came in a V2 model that supports >2TB drives in all slots.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

No such thing as a 3200V2.  Only the 4200 came in a V2 model that supports >2TB drives in all slots.

Oops, that's correct.  I saw a reference to a 3200 v2 somewhere in the forum, but that must have meant a 4200.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements