× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XRAID2 drive failure issues...weird logs

raminmd
Aspirant

XRAID2 drive failure issues...weird logs

Hello all,

Here is my situation.

I have a READYNAS pro with 6 1.5 TB Seagate disks (ST31500341AS) disks in a XRAID2 with 2 redundant disks.

Yesterday, the disk in channel 3 died. I replaced it with a new disk and let it rebuild. It took about 12 hours (as I have close to 5TB of data). Anyway, I got a message this morning that the rebuild was complete but the volume was still in degraded mode. I double checked and sure enough, it now shows Disk 2 as dead.

I looked at the logs and here is the weird thing -

Severity Date Message
Wed Dec 3 04:00:39 EST 2014 ATA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: Previous count: 15 Current count: 20 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.
Wed Dec 3 00:07:39 EST 2014 Backup finished. [Job 008]
Tue Dec 2 20:08:14 EST 2014 RAID sync finished. on volume C. The array is still in degraded mode, however. This can be caused by a disk sync failure or failed disks in a multi-parity disk array.
Tue Dec 2 20:08:02 EST 2014 Data volume rebuild has been finished.
Tue Dec 2 08:55:46 EST 2014 RAID sync started. on volume C.
Tue Dec 2 07:56:41 EST 2014 Data volume will be rebuilt with new disk on channel 3.
Tue Dec 2 07:56:13 EST 2014 Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 3: Previous count: 12 Current count: 19 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.
Tue Dec 2 07:55:47 EST 2014 System is up.

As you can see, at 20:08, I have the message that the array is still in degraded mode. However, there is no log about the disk in 2 being dead. At 00:39, I have a message that the increasing error count could mean the disk in 2 may fail soon. How is that even possible? If it is dead, why would I get that message?

Secondly, the first log message above shows the system is up. This is after I swapped the dead disk in 3 with a new disk and rebooted. The next message shows that the smart errors increased in disk 3. This is a brand new disk. Even if there are errors, why would the message say they increased from before?

I am worried that the resync did not complete and maybe both disks 2 and 3 are bad now (even though it shows 3 as being ok) in RAIDAR and frontview.

Do I replace disk 2? I don't want to risk crashing the whole system as I am able to access the shares currently.

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 3
vandermerwe
Master

Re: XRAID2 drive failure issues...weird logs

Do you have a backup?
If not, do one before doing anything else.
Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: XRAID2 drive failure issues...weird logs

You should be able to see under Status > Health > SMART+ in Frontview what the Reallocated sector count is for the new Disk 3. If it is zero, then the log message about reallocated sectors was probably stuck in a queue and is for the old disk.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements