× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xraid 2 formatted disk

mthescorpion200
Aspirant

Xraid 2 formatted disk

Is it possible to put a X-Raid 2 formatted disk (WD Caviar Red 3TB) into a caddy and read it as a usb drive?
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

mthescorpion2001 wrote:
Is it possible to put a X-Raid 2 formatted disk (WD Caviar Red 3TB) into a caddy and read it as a usb drive?
How many disks were in the raid array?
Message 2 of 13
mthescorpion200
Aspirant

thanks for your reply, it was 2 x 3TB
Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

mthescorpion2001 wrote:
thanks for your reply, it was 2 x 3TB
Then one can put it into an enclosure, since the two drives were mirrored.

Maybe you can tell us what you are trying to accomplish? Is this for data recovery or something else?
Message 4 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

You will need software to read this disk from a PC:
http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
Message 5 of 13
mthescorpion200
Aspirant

Yes it is for data recovery. My NAS started beeping however i didn't get any emails about disk failures so the OH turned it off. Turning it back on it is now stuck in the 'Booting...' screen. I can access the boot menu, have successfully run a memory check, it failed an OS reinstall and am currently doing a disk test. If that fails i guess my next option is to put them in a caddy as you said i could do.

I guess as they are mirrored it shouldn't matter which one i use. I should be able to copy them somewhere and do a 'Factory Default' install and copy it all back again.
Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

It shouldn't matter in your case, though it would if you were running 4.1.x firmware (nv+ v1 or duo v1).

Linux-reader (linked above) should let you read the files from a PC. Note that some SATA->USB adapters don't support GPT drives (e.g., have a 2 TB drive size limit).

Note that linux-reader won't work with the new OS6 systems (it can't read the btrfs file system used by OS6). But it should work with 4.2.x (and hopefully 5.x).

After you have the data, try running WDC's Lifeguard program to check the drives. If you purchased your NAS near your join date you should still have some Netgear warranty left - so if it isn't the drives, you should be able to RMA the NAS.

Maybe post back with your NAS info (type and firmware) and what you find.
Message 7 of 13
mthescorpion200
Aspirant

I have just tried taking both drives out and mounting them onto my caddy after installing DiskInternals Linux Reader 1.6.4.0 and it shows 3 x volumes relating to the drive. This is the same for both drives indicating they are mirrored:

Volume 1 - Linux Raid Partition - 4Gb
Volume 2 - Linux Raid Partition - 512Mb
Volume 3 - Linux Raid Partition - 2.7Gb

Clearly the data is on Volume 3 however when i try and open it i get the error:

Can't open Disk: Volume 3 (Linux Raid Partition)
Check the disk and try again.

As you said it may be down to the Adaptor as it was a cheap one from amazon a few months back.

The NAS and drives were purchased in Apr 2012 so no warranty for the NAS but think the drives have 3 years on them.
Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

-Readynas has either a 3 year or 5 year warranty. So it shouldn't be expired yet.

What did you buy? (pro, ultra, duo v2, or nv+ v2)? What firmware were you running???

-The WDC drives have a 3 year warranty,
Message 9 of 13
mthescorpion200
Aspirant

Ok, i am in contact with their tech support now so hopefully they will be able to resolve it.

Its an NV+ V2 NAS and i don't know what version of firmware i am running as i administer it via a browser window and as i can't access it via a browser can't give you that one.

Also having opened it up now i bought the Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives, not the WD Red, silly me!!
Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Seagate 3 TB consumer drives purchased in Apr 2012 would have have a 1 year warranty. You can check on the seagate site (you will need the drive model and serial).
Message 11 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Running into this same issue, were you ever able to open and read Volume 3?

mthescorpion2001 wrote:
I have just tried taking both drives out and mounting them onto my caddy after installing DiskInternals Linux Reader 1.6.4.0 and it shows 3 x volumes relating to the drive. This is the same for both drives indicating they are mirrored:

Volume 1 - Linux Raid Partition - 4Gb
Volume 2 - Linux Raid Partition - 512Mb
Volume 3 - Linux Raid Partition - 2.7Gb

Clearly the data is on Volume 3 however when i try and open it i get the error:

Can't open Disk: Volume 3 (Linux Raid Partition)
Check the disk and try again.

As you said it may be down to the Adaptor as it was a cheap one from amazon a few months back.

The NAS and drives were purchased in Apr 2012 so no warranty for the NAS but think the drives have 3 years on them.
Message 12 of 13
LucianTS
Aspirant

Were you ever able to open and read Volume 3?
I have Duo with RAIDiator 5.3.9. Just try to do an Backup of the entire 3TB trough eSATA.
I figured it would take forever trough the net or USB (BTW. which is faster 1Gb net or the USB3 connection in the back).
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements