× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ZeroTier as a ReadyCloud replacement.

Sandshark
Sensei

ZeroTier as a ReadyCloud replacement.

Well, a big part of a replacement, anyway.

With ReadyCloud going away, a lot of folks are going to be looking for a replacement in order to have remote access to their ReadyNAS, I have been using ZeroTier (instead of ReadyCloud) for some time to do that, so I'm re-visiting it here. You can see my initial thread here: ZeroTier-and-the-ReadyNAS . You can see a general overview of ZeroTier at https://www.zerotier.com/, and be sure to also see https://docs.zerotier.com/getting-started/getting-started/, which shows you how to create your ZeroTier network.

While the ReadyNAS-specific versions still work, they are very old at this point. But the only way to get a GUI for it is to install the appropriate "nt3" version from here: https://github.com/NAStools/zerotierone/releases.

Frankly, you are better off installing (and then configuring) it from SSH so it's the latest and greatest. It does not seem to have anything that can fill the OS partition. You don't really need knowledge of how Linux works to do this install, you just issue these commands from SSH:

curl  -s  https://install.zerotier.com/  |  bash
zerotier-cli  join  <yournetworkID>
zerotier-cli  info

ZeroTier Central gives you the network ID to use and the info command above gives you the node address of the NAS so you can authorize the NAS in ZeroTier Central.

Note that as of this date (Jan 25, 2023) I have verified that this install script works with ReadyNASOS6.10.8 on both Intel and ARM systems.  The installed version isn't the latest.  It's 1.4.0, while 1.8.9 is current, but anything newer seems to have broken dependencies.  But it's still a lot more up to date than the nt3 one.  There isn't normally any ongoing configuration updating required, so you may never need to go into SSH to control it again. ZeroTier operation does resume after a power cycle.

Next, install ZeroTier on your Windows, Mac, Android, IOS, or Linux system (including a Netgear or other NAS) and they can talk to each other remotely and securely with no need for port forwarding, dynamic DNS, etc. You can have them all on one network, or you can have multiple networks to segregate devices from each other.

As for accessing the ReadyNAS, it now will look like any local LAN device, just with a new IP address. So you use a local log-in to the NAS (not your ReadyCloud ID) and local protocols (SMB, HTTPS, etc. -- even SSH) and local programs/apps. The traffic doesn't flow through ZeroTier. ZerTier Central is only needed so your devices can find each other. In that respect, it's much like ReadyCloud.

But, ZeroTier just provides the connection. If you want to do file sync, you'll need a program/app for that. FreeFileSync is a good option for Windows, Mac, and Linux. SyncThing adds Android to that list, and Resilio Sync adds IOS as well.  If anyone has specific recommendations. feel free to add them to this chain.

Message 1 of 139
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Thanks for your thoughts on a potential replacement to readycloud.

My ZeroTier installation fails saying that version >=5 of libstdc++6 is required, but version 4.9.2-10+deb8u2 is to be installed.

I'm on 6.10.8 with KernelPlus installed too.

Any thoughts?

Message 2 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you use the command I gave that retrieves the script and executes it, or did you download a .deb and try to install it?  As  I stated, there are dependency issues with later versions.

Message 3 of 139
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

...just ran the curl command as per your first post. Is there a prior step I should have run?

I have not previously installed/removed nastools app or any standalone .deb

Message 4 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

No, that should have worked.  The system on which I recently installed it does not have KernelPlus, so that could be a difference.  It was actually a legacy NAS converted to OS6, but that shouldn't make a difference.  You can download the 1.4.0 .deb and try to install that.

Message 5 of 139
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Actually, I installed KernelPlus in the hope that would fix the dependencies (it didn't).

So, I downloaded the .deb files for both x64 and ARM from:

https://download.zerotier.com/RELEASES/1.4.0/dist/debian/jessie/pool/main/z/zerotier-one/

Installed them via the Apps tab

Turned on SSH

Entered the two zerotier-cli commands as per your first post (having already created a zerotier one account and network)

Turned off SSH

...and job done. Thanks.

Although, given the active user community despite the sheer contempt shown by Netgear for its network storage customers, I'm sure other options/improvements will emerge over the next few months.

Am I correct in assuming that I will need to re-install after any update (6.10.9?) to OS6? - Removing ReadyCLOUD will make quite a few settings in the UI redundant, and I wonder whether Netgear will be bothered to tidy things up to remove these.

Message 6 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

It should not be necessary to re-install after an OS update unless a dependency is broken.  Given that Netgear seems to be going out of the NAS market, I wouldn't really expect any update from them that does so.

I probably did an apt-get update (note NOT upgrade) at some point prior to running the script.  I'm not sure why that would cause it to install an earlier (and working) version than it did for you.

Message 7 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

@Sandshark  continuing from my other topic 🙂 could you explain where can I download v1.4.0 for arm based one,

I'm not familiar with linux commands, if you don't mind;
Should I setup SSH connection within ReadyNAS web UI and where to enter these commands to install

1.4.0 ?

I've installed nt3 arm version before which has GUI interface but I prefer to install newer version as you mentioned, I hope this request does not inconvenience you 😐

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

I truly agree with your thoughts about sheering contempt shown by Netgear for its network storage customers and It’s going on for a long time.
Message 9 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

If you enable SSH and connect to the NAS as user root and he admin password, you just issue the commands I listed.  Or, you can download the arm64 version from the page @XtheUnknown pointed to.

Message 10 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

@Sandshark I get it and I would like to thank you for the information and guidance you provided here.

Message 11 of 139
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

...actually I used the armel rather than the arm64 version on my 214, which seemed to work OK (a lot of the other downloadable ReadyNAS apps have .armel file extensions for 10x/2xx systems).

Perhaps @Sandshark could advise if there's any importance difference between the two (which are built for different implementations of the ARM architecture).

Message 12 of 139
StephenB
Guru

@XtheUnknown wrote:

Perhaps @Sandshark could advise if there's any importance difference between the two (which are built for different implementations of the ARM architecture).

armel is 32 bit (but of course can run on a 64 bit machine), arm64 is 64 bit.

Message 13 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

My bad.  Yes, the ReadyNAS is an ARMV7 architecture and ARM64 requires V8 or above, you the armel version is the right one.

Message 14 of 139
JohnNulty
Apprentice

Many thanks Sandshark for this post.  How about Tailscale as an alternative to ReadyCloud as well?  Do you (or any other posters) have any experience with this?

Message 15 of 139
StephenB
Guru

@JohnNulty wrote:

How about Tailscale as an alternative to ReadyCloud as well?  Do you (or any other posters) have any experience with this?

It is similar to ZeroTier as far as architecture and features.  One challenge would be installing it on the ReadyNAS (since it uses an older version of linux and a small OS partition). 

It wouldn't be ideal for @Sandshark, since he is using ZeroTier for remote backup - connecting to a backup NAS at a friend/relative's house.  Definitely simpler for him to have ZeroTier running natively on the backup NAS.

Personally, I currently use cloud backup for disaster recovery - so I don't have a backup NAS in another location.  I use OpenVPN in my router for my own remote access.  I do have a PC application server for Plex and other applications (including the cloud backup software), and just use the NAS for storage.  I believe that is more future-proof than trying to install software on the ReadyNAS.

Message 16 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

My guess would be no.  The oldest Debian version they list for it is Buster (10), and ReadyNAS is on Jessie (8).  Even if you tried to compile it yourself, you would probably not be able to meet all the dependencies.

Message 17 of 139
JohnNulty
Apprentice

Thanks StephenB, all good points 👍.  What about those who may just want to have a 'private cloud' (like 'Google Drive' on a NAS), rather than 'fully fledged' remote access to a NAS, for sharing files with family/friends?  I would have thought ZT would be a bit over the top for such use cases.....

Message 18 of 139
JohnNulty
Apprentice

Thanks for the clarification @Sandshark 👍

Message 19 of 139
StephenB
Guru

@JohnNulty wrote:

Thanks StephenB, all good points 👍.  What about those who may just want to have a 'private cloud' (like 'Google Drive' on a NAS), 

One of the applications I run on the PC is Resilio Sync, which is convenient for remote access from phones and tablets.  Though now that iOS lets me access the NAS through the files app, I use OpenVPN more, and Resilio Sync less.

Controlled sharing with friends/family is more challenging than simple remote access. Honestly If I needed that I'd be looking first at cloud storage (iCloud, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc), and then looking for a way to back up that cloud storage to a NAS share.

Message 20 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

NextCloud and OwnCloud are excellent for Google drive like file sharing.  Unfortunately, the RNXTRAS site which used to have ReadyNAS-specific versions of those available for a small price is no more.  The remnants of the site point to his repository of the final versions he created, but I don't really see anything there on how to use it.  I find no .deb files that can be downloaded.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off running one of those on an always-on PC (which needn't be very powerful), Raspberry Pi, etc. and then using the NAS for it's storage.  At some point, I'll likely convert to this myself instead of OwnCloud on a NAS I currently use for this purpose.

If you were to compile one yourself, you'd have to deal with the back-ports of dependencies (which is one of the reason he stopped development) as well as insuring it is configured so as not to fill the OS partition.

Message 21 of 139
JohnNulty
Apprentice

@Sandshark @StephenB Thanks for the info and suggestions - it's much appreciated 👍

Message 22 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

So, as I understand we couldn't use any app. for browse the NAS shares upon remotely except ReadyCloud (that will be tetminating) especially on smart phone?

Still investigating, how can I do that without an app. running on ReadyNAS...

Message 23 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

This thread is all about using ZeroTier to do just that.  If you have no interest in that, you can search the forum for other potential solutions discussed elsewhere, or start a new post.  I recommend using Google, not the built-in forum search which is, frankly, useless.  Tacking on additional subjects to an existing post just makes for a confusing thread where one cannot be sure which subject is being discussed.

Message 24 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

@Sandshark sorry for inconvenience but I'm just finding a way to using my NAS device remotely, I already Googled but can not find anything about that, this is just because why I  wrote previous post. Again, sorry for if it makes confusing. 

I also try to install ZT to ReadyNAS via Web UI and SSH but installing failed on RN214 Arm V7, firmware: 6.10.8

Message 25 of 139
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements