× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ZeroTier as a ReadyCloud replacement.

StephenB
Guru

@Leventh wrote:

Still investigating, how can I do that without an app. running on ReadyNAS...

The other VPN-type solution is to get a router that has OpenVPN.  Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi models for example.  Then you can install the free OpenVPN app on your phone (or an PCs), and use that to connect to your home network.  Once you do that, you access the NAS the same way you do when you are home.

ZT is similar, but rather than giving you full access to your home network, you only have access to the NAS.

Message 26 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

@StephenB yes, this was the last chance for me so I set up VPN server on my UniFi USG router which it has own server,

I can now access the NAS at least via web UI.

Thank you to pointed out.

Message 27 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

@Sandshark I followed your and @XtheUnknown instructions but ZeroTier installation always fails on my RN214 I try both 1.1.14-nt3_armel and 1.4.0

Web UI and SSH rejected the installation which gives architecture error, do I have to have x64 Arm or am I missing something, could you help, any idea?

Message 28 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

There is another post regarding that error on other installs, apparently due to a recent change in status of the Debian Jessie distros.  I'm currently checking out a new-to-me RN3220 and had no similar problem, but it is an Intel-based unit, not ARM.  But I do now have that problem on my main NAS, which is on OS 6.9.6.  I guess I got in "just under the wire" in my test install.  I don't know if that change is also responsible for users having trouble with the standard curl script attempting to install a newer version than 1.4.0 on Intel systems that's apparently incompatible with the current status of ReadyNAS OS.

I actually didn't try the ReadyNAS-specific versions in my test install, as I really think users should be moving past it.  But I suspect it has the same issue as installing with the curl script.

While the ARM-based ReadyNAS are 64-bit, the standard ARM64 distros apparently require a V8 or above ARM, and the ReadyNAS ARM is V7.  That means you have to use the armel version, which is 32-bit.  But the problem with not being able to download the dependencies is still going to be a problem. 

@StephenB has already requested a hot fix be distributed that fixes it, and we can only hope Netgear will come through.  If they don't, then we can at least hope a user posts instructions "for dummies" to fix it.  I'm afraid I'm not that guy, though I have some "sandbox" NAS I can try it on once there is a solution..  My Linux skills are actually pretty basic.

Message 29 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

Seems the curl script no longer works in Debian Jessie.   But manual install does.

I have an OS6.10.8 Intel-based NAS and successfully manually installed V1.6.6.  Anything later fails.  I will try an ARM machine when I get a chance to re-initialize one, or somebody else can try and report results.

Below is how to do the manual installation.  In this example, I'm assuming a volume name of data and that share Temp exists.  Use whatever is appropriate to you.

Go here: https://download.zerotier.com/RELEASES/1.6.6/dist/debian/jessie/ and download the amd64 version to the Temp share.

From SSH:

cd /data/Temp

apt install ./zerotier-one_1.6.6_amd64.deb

Note that the leading ./ is required, or it will try to install from a network source.

You will have to answer Y to a couple of prompts, and the default for at least one may be N.

Now just join your network and enable the member in ZeroTierOne.

Message 30 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, got to testing with an ARM version faster than I thought I would.  I successfully installed the armel version of V1.4 from here: https://download.zerotier.com/RELEASES/1.4.0/dist/debian/jessie/pool/main/z/zerotier-one/ on a newly-initialized RN212 on OS6.10.8.  Given the limited memory of the 100 series, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use it on those.  I have no 100 series NAS on which to test.

Message 31 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

@Sandshark

Well, It seems curl script no longer works in Debian Jessie as you mentioned.

Web UI always fails to install both 1.1.14-nt3 and 1.4.0

Local/manual install V1.4.0 (as you did with V1.6.6) worked for my armel RN214 OS6.10.8 (with kernel plus installed).

I tested it via my iPhone with ZeroTier app. installed and connected my ZT network to NAS upon it's managed IP. 

Now I can use the Resilio sync for ReadyNAS and on my IOS, macOS devices.

Btw. Thank you to your effort here to help and hope this community live long enough although Netgear quits from NAS market.

Message 32 of 139
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Just FYI:

I managed to install on (upgrade from 1.4.0) my x64 ReadyNAS simply by uploading the 1.6.6 version via the UI.

YMMV.

Message 33 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

I believe you cannot do an initial install via the GUI any more because you have to answer "Y" to a prompt where the default is "N".  But if you are upgrading and that upgrade doesn't need an update of a dependency where you had to make that choice, then it would work.  That includes if you installed the older version before the status of the dependencies changed, you could answer "Y" to all.

Note that you should not update a ReadyNAS-specific version with a non-ReadyNAS version this way, as they install in different places.

Message 34 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

Just for the information,

Additionallly I've been able to install ZT 1.1.14-nt3.deb locally via SSH, now it's working on RN214 (v6.10.8) with GUI 👍

(Btw. Tested it from scratch after factory reset).

Message 35 of 139
tigerten
Luminary

I am able to install Version 1.8.7 through the web-interface. unable to install any version via command line. 

root@RN628X:~# zerotier-cli status
200 info xxxxxxx 1.8.7 ONLINE

Message 36 of 139
JohnS530
Guide

I successfully downloaded, installed and configured ZeroTier on a RN314 running 6.10.8. (Intel). Using the 1.6.6. Joined the network. Added 2 Win 11 clients. Enabled all in the ZeroTier web portal. 

But I am unclear how I access the shared folders on the NAS? I do not see anything in my File Explorer under Network - Computers, except for other local computers. Thoughts?

Message 37 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you also install ZeroTier on the PC and add it to the same network?

I'm not sure how Windows decides how to show things in "My Network", but it doesn't show two devices with the same name at two different IP addresses, so you won't see it there, at least when it's also on the local network.  But you can map a drive to it or just go there directly by typing the IP address and share name into a Windows Explorer window's address field.

In my case \\192.168.0.42\Documents gets me to the Documents share via the local network and \\192.168.192.42\Documents gets me there via ZeroTier.  I've assigned reserved IP addresses in ZeroTier that just change the third field from 0 to 192 compared to the IP addresses reserved in my router to make things easier.

Message 38 of 139
rodcrit
Luminary

@Sandshark @StephenB Thanks for all help so far:  As stated elsewhere, I am 80 years of age and don't find setting up systems very easy - that's why readycloud was so good in that respect. it did all that was necessary.

anyway:   I have installed Zero-Tier (ZT) on my NAS RN204 and on 2 ~PCs and an Android phone.

they seem to have installed correctly and the ZT management site has recognised them ( almost ).

the netgear NAS entry on the ZT management site is reporting "unknown" and on the NAS there is an account for ZT which is showing disabled.  I don't know how to progress that problem.

the PC and android connections look good.  I can Ping between them successfully . BUT - how do I set up a GUI to connect to that VPN ( what GUI do I use ?)  so that I can see what files are on the system and be able to move them between systems? 

Sorry to be so negative, but I do need a system that is easy to use, and more importantly, one that my daughter in America can also set up herself with help from me. which at the moment I cannot even help myself.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Message 39 of 139
StephenB
Guru

@rodcrit wrote:

the netgear NAS entry on the ZT management site is reporting "unknown" and on the NAS there is an account for ZT which is showing disabled.  I don't know how to progress that problem.

I haven't used ZeroTier for a while now, so @Sandshark is better able to help you on this.

@rodcrit wrote:

the PC and android connections look good.  I can Ping between them successfully . BUT - how do I set up a GUI to connect to that VPN ( what GUI do I use ?)  so that I can see what files are on the system and be able to move them between systems? 

With Android/iPhone, you simply connect to the ZeroTier VPN.  Once that is done, you access the NAS using the same methods you use at home.  So in the case of iPhone, you could use the built-in Files app to copy files.  The NAS server would need to use the ZeroTier IP address (so you'd need to check for that).  There are similar tools for Android (though it's been a few years since I've had an Android phone).

Similarly on a PC - you connect to the VPN using the ZeroTier software, and then you can just use Window File Explorer or Finder (Mac).  If you have a laptop, you can test this by taking it to a place with a hotspot, and then connect to your home network with the ZeroTier VPN.

One thing - if you or family members are using the NAS home folders, then you will need to copy them.  ReadyCloud uses different usernames from the normal local NAS accounts, and so those home folder contents won't be accessible when you disable it. 

I suspect you folks can simply use public shares (no need to keep the files "private").  If that's the case, you can simply migrate the home files to public shares now, and disable SMB and other file sharing protocols for Home in the NAS admin ui.

Message 40 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, ZeroTier doesn't recognize the NAS OS, so it reports it as "unknown".  You can change it manually.  As long as it's reporting as being from your IP address, then that's sure to be your NAS.  Once you enable in ZT Central, it should show as connected on the NAS.

Message 41 of 139
carlosweb
Aspirant

Buenas he seguido lo mismo que ha realizado usted pero me da error y no me instala el zerotier adjunto pantallazo de errorr.

la instalación la estoy ejecutando sobre un ready nas 212 con el firmeware 6.10.8 no se si hay que instalar algo previo al paquete 

Message 42 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

The error is telling you you need iprout2. Unfortunately, Debian Jessie is no longer available from the standard sources, so apt can't download it. You can find a solution here: How-I-got-apt-update-and-install-to-work-with-Debian-Jessie . Or, you can download the .deb package from one of the Debian archives and install it locally as you did zerotier. You want iproute2_3.16.0-2_armhf.deb, which you can get from https://archive.kernel.org/debian-archive/debian/pool/main/i/iproute2/ 

Note to others:  If you have an Intel based NAS, you obviously need the AMD64 version. 

Google Translate:

El error te dice que necesitas iprout2. Desafortunadamente, Debian Jessie ya no está disponible en las fuentes estándar. Puede encontrar una solución aquí: How-I-got-apt-update-and-install-to-work-with-Debian-Jessie . O bien, puede descargar el paquete .deb de uno de los archivos de Debian e instalarlo como lo hizo con zerotier. Desea iproute2_3.16.0-2_armhf.deb, que puede obtener de https://archive.kernel.org/debian-archive/debian/pool/main/i/iproute2/.

Nota para los demás: si tiene un NAS basado en Intel, obviamente necesita la versión AMD64.

Message 43 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

BTW, there is an armhf version of ZeroTier available that will also work on an ARM based OS6 ReadyNAS.  armel is 32-bit and armhf is 64-bit.  Probably doesn't much.

Message 44 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, maybe there is a reason.  If you go with the armhf version, you can install 1.6.0.

Message 45 of 139
Leventh
Apprentice

After installing the ZeroTier on client device, simply "Add Network Location" from Windows file manager then you can use managed IPs getting from ZeroTier network eg. 172.22.xx.xx (even on iPhone iOS > Files > Connect Server > ZT IP)

That's all

Message 46 of 139
Maximus360
Guide

@Sandshark just found this thread after seeing readycloud is going EOL this year.

I have a Readynas RN104 running arm 6.10.9 can you point me to the correct ZT install I need for my NAS.

After reading the thread I got slightly confused as the RN104 was not mentioned.

If I just run the command below you suggested will this work?

curl  -s  https://install.zerotier.com/  |  bash
zerotier-cli  join  <yournetworkID>
zerotier-cli  info 

TIA

Mark

Message 47 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

I do not believe that will work any longer due to the changes in the Debian repositories, as outlined above.  Whether it will work after updating the repositories list or if you should independently download it and install, I don't know.  But it won't hurt to try, and please let us know your results.  It has nothing to do with it being a 100 series NAS, though.  While the 100 series NAS do have limited RAM, as long as you are not already running a lot of apps, I believe ZeroTier will work.  But I own no 100 series to try it on.

Message 48 of 139
Maximus360
Guide

@Sandshark them cli commands do not work as you guessed. I also tried installing the 1.4.0 armel file using the web gui and it fails to install. 

Are there any other ways i can get ZT on my NAS 104? I am running 6.10.8 not 6.10.9, sorry.

Any help is appreciated.

Message 49 of 139
Maximus360
Guide

@Sandshark okay, I have managed to get something to work on my RN104.

I done a manual install of iproute2 as suggested in previous post then a manual install of ZT 1.4.0 armel.

I then run the zerotier-cli join command and my NAS appeared in my ZT network - happy days.

How do I now access my shares remotely as if I was at home. 

Message 50 of 139
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements