× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ZeroTier as a ReadyCloud replacement.

Sandshark
Sensei

All you need to do is specify the ZeroTier IP address, which you can find in your ZeroTier account or with the ifconfig command via SSH on the NAS, instead of the "normal" one.  If you want to do it by name, you'll have to add a unique name and the ZT IP address to your hosts file.  While that's a plain text file, you have to edit it with admin privileges.  Rather than me explaining how to do that (which you may not even need), you can just Google it.  You can use that address for HTTP (including admin), SMB, and even SSH.  I was recently out of town and could do everything remotely except watch videos, and that's just because my home upload speed to the internet is too slow.  I had to download them and watch the copy locally.  If you use Plex, it can transcode based on transfer speed, but I prefer to see the full resolution using the extra step of downloading.

What I have done is add _ZT to the normal network names and put them in my hosts files.  So NAS1 is NAS1_ZT via ZeroTier.

Message 51 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

This, of course, assumes you've also installed ZT on the other device and added it to the same network.

Message 52 of 139
Maximus360
Guide

Thanks @Sandshark everything is working perfectly now, your help has been very much appreciated.

Regarding Plex, I use to host a plex server on my RN104 but I found everything was awfully slow. Even loading artwork took an age. If my client device never had the correct codecs and the NAS had to transcode everything just ground to a halt. I am assuming that the RN104 is just not powerful enough to host a plex server. 

Message 53 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, the 100 series just doesn't have the horsepower for a Plex implementation that requires transcoding.  Better to run it on a PC and just use the NAS for storage.

Message 54 of 139
SS4098
Aspirant

@Sandshark  I used your instructions in message 30 of this thread to install 1.6.6 over 1.2.12 on a 6.10.8 NAS314 . It seems to have upgraded successfully and functions as normal, but I have two concerns. One, I did not have to answer any prompts; Two, the zerotier web interface still reports this NAS as 1.2.12. Looking at the info below, is there any reason to think the upgrade failed?

root@NetgearOnsite:~# cd /data/Backup
root@NetgearOnsite:/data/Backup# apt install ./zerotier-one_1.6.6_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'zerotier-one' instead of './zerotier-one_1.6.6_amd64.deb'The following packages will be upgraded:
zerotier-one
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,017 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,213 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 /data/Backup/zerotier-one_1.6.6_amd64.deb zerotier-one amd64 1.6.6 [1,017 kB]
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libclamav9:amd64' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'samba4-clients' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 15014 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../zerotier-one_1.6.6_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking zerotier-one (1.6.6) over (1.2.12) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (230-7~bpo8+2.netgear3) ...
Setting up zerotier-one (1.6.6) ...
root@NetgearOnsite:/data/Backup# zerotier-cli join xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
200 join OK
root@NetgearOnsite:/data/Backup# zerotier-cli info
200 info xxxxxxxxxx 1.6.6 ONLINE
root@NetgearOnsite:/data/Backup#

Message 55 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

Try disconnecting and re-connecting to see if ZeroTier Central then sees your new version.

You didn't have to answer any questions because you already had all of the dependencies installed.

Message 56 of 139
SS4098
Aspirant

Thanks. I think the web interface just doesn't update that data very often at all. Disconnect/reconnect didn't change it. I also removed the identity files to get a new device ID and now it's showing 0.0.0, so whatever.

Message 57 of 139
tigerten
Luminary

You may have installed two copies. Believe they installed in two different directories. So not an upgrade. Uninstall the old version first.
Message 58 of 139
SS4098
Aspirant

I ran both apt list --installed and dpkg -l earlier this morning. They returned only one installed zerotier at 1.6.6. I was going to reinstall anyway but I got pulled away for a while. When I got back ZT web interface had updated and is now showing 1.6.6 for both my local NAS which I changed device IDs on and my remote NAS which I was limited to only upgrading so I didn't lose connection. Thanks for helping me verify things.

Message 59 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm assuming you updated a version other than a ReadyNAS-specific one (nt1 version) since I don't believe there ever was a ReadyNAS-specific V1.2.12.  Because the ReadyNAS version installs in /apps instead of the usual place for Linux, updating from it to a standard release is a bad idea.  Looks like all is well for you, but I'm adding this for the benefit of others.

Message 60 of 139
russ1162
Aspirant

What is the zeroTier files I need to download and install on the netgear readynas to get them to still work remotely outside the network?

Message 61 of 139
Maximus360
Guide

@Sandshark  apologies for reigniting an old thread. I have come across an issue where SMB has stopped working to the remote NAS.

Everything was working fine and now all of a sudden I cannot access remote shares.

Windows 10 PC can ping NAS and ZT says both NAS and Windows 10 PC are online.

When I open up my SMB share on windows 10 it says It cannot connect to NAS.

I have disabled windows FW and still no luck.

I can FTP to the shares which is strange just SMB has stopped working.

If I try to set a new SMB share up on my PC and point it to the NAS ZT IP address it says IP cannot be found, yet I can ping the NAS ZT IP fine.

On my mobile everything is working fine so I know the ZT on the NAS is online.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Message 62 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

That sounds like a firewall issue more than a ZeroTier one.  Check to make sure your ZT network is shown as private and that your antivirus isn't interfering.

Message 63 of 139
darkaxis05
Aspirant

Hello I have a readynas 214 armel version can I install ZeroTier to it ?

Message 64 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, you can install ZeroTier on any OS6 ReadyNAS.  But it has become increasingly hard to do so.  Do not even try to install it on V6.10.8, though, as there is an error in the ReadyNAS-specific repository for it (a different issue than the Debian repository).  Go to 6.10.9 first. 

Message 65 of 139
trentvoigt
Aspirant

I assume this will work with a 3312? 

I issued the curl command and it just returned to prompt.  No error, no nothing.  

Thoughts?

Message 66 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

It will work on all OS6-based ReadyNAS, but the curl command no longer works because there is no current version for Debian Jessie.  Alternate ways to install are discussed above.  You do have to insure you get the right version for your architecture.

Message 67 of 139
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

Hi Again, Got brave today and upgraded the ram, now I am going to make it as resolved, and will put what I did to resolve it on my post.  Anywho, I want to install Zerotier on my ReadyNAS, I know that the Jessie thing is gone so, I’ve tried to manually download it, but I can’t access the folder cd/data/temp.  Tried using apple, and Mac computers and they said no such file or directory.  My Mac was using putty (obviously) and my windows computer was running Putty.  Also tried using ExtraPutty, same result.  I am logging in as Root.  I am on the latest firmware for the ReadyNAS 314 firmware, 6.10.9.  Need some help, I know that I am doing basically all correct but cannot access the files via SSH.

Message 68 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

hat would be because there is no such directory.  Assuming your data volume is named data. then I assume you are trying to cd into directory /data/temp, so you are leaving out a space.

Message 69 of 139
StephenB
Guru

Is temp a share that you've created?

Message 70 of 139
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

Sorry to sound noobish but I am quite confused on what to type in now to install the app manually.  What am I going to type in?  Thanks again for your guys quick response but I am confused on what to type in now.

Message 71 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

This is now a complex process due to Debian Jessie no longer being hosted on the normal update servers.

Message 72 of 139
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

how am I going to manually install the app now since the cd/data/temp doesn’t work anymore…. (Or I’m not sure if that’s where the folders are stored).  

Message 73 of 139
OldSchoolGuy
Aspirant

Sorry, wrote the message in a rush. In a better explanation, what I am saying is how can I download it manually then? I tried the cd/data/temp but said no such file or directory via SSH. Where is the apps folder stored on the ReadyNAS 314?
Message 74 of 139
Sandshark
Sensei

What, exactly, are you wanting to do?  Because there is no reason to go into the apps directory via SSH to install zerotier.

But apps are in /apps, which is just a link to /data/apps (assuming your data volume is named data).

Message 75 of 139
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements