× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: access to Readynas admin page impossible, one disk looks dead

Vincefr34
Aspirant

access to Readynas admin page impossible, one disk looks dead

Hi all, 

since few days, I'm not able to access to my readynas admin page from a web browser. I'm not able to access to the shared directories. The readynas seems to be (too) busy. After some search on the forum, I've be running Raidar, and it looks like my 3rd hard disk is faulty (see below). Can I replace it, in the state where the readynas is ? No need to access to the admin page before replacing the disk ? Any chance the "busy" state is due to the faulty disk and can stop with a new disk ? Will a restoration start automatically, and will I be able to recover my data ?

It looks like I have no other choice than replacing the disk, but I want to avoid to do a mistake.

here is the raidar result :

Capture diagnostic Raidar Netgear.PNG

thanks for your help.

Vincent

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I suggest removing the disk, and then rebooting the NAS. 

Normally the volume would be available after doing this, but degraded (e.g., RAID redundancy is lost).  Best practice is to back up the data, and then hot-insert the replacement disk.  If the disk is blank (and you are using XRAID), then the system should start resyncing automatically.

If the volume isn't available (for instance, if it shows up as inactive), then let us know.

Message 2 of 12
Vincefr34
Aspirant

Thanks a lot Stephen, I will try this and let you know if not working.

Message 3 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

It is not normal that it's  showing volumes data, data-0, date-1 and data-2 as inactive.  In fact data-0 through data-2 shouldn't be visible at all.  Some thing else is going on.

Message 4 of 12
Vincefr34
Aspirant

As suggested, I removed the 3rd disk.

Now I can access to the admin page, but there is no volume mounted. The other 3 disks are visible with no error.

Any chance I can get accees to may dat again ?

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Vincefr34 wrote:

Any chance I can get accees to my data again ?

I suggest contacting Netgear support.  There's a reasonable chance that they can remount your volume.  Not sure if they will need a data recovery contract or not - data recovery is quite expensive.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Message 6 of 12
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @Vincefr34 

This does not look like a filesystem side issue. Hence you running the "btrfs rescue zero-log" command would not fix this. That is also what you reported in the PM to me, as you tried this on your own accord. It fails to actually run the command because the filesystem complains about a missing device.

root@SERVEUR:~# btrfs rescue zero-log /dev/md126
warning, device 1 is missing

Looking at the dmesg log it can be seen that md127 tries to start with sda3 and sdb3 but that fails due to not enough partitions to start the raid.

[Sat Apr 23 17:55:52 2022] md/raid:md127: not enough operational devices (2/4 failed)
[Sat Apr 23 17:55:52 2022] RAID conf printout:
[Sat Apr 23 17:55:52 2022] --- level:5 rd:4 wd:2
[Sat Apr 23 17:55:52 2022] disk 0, o:1, dev:sda3
[Sat Apr 23 17:55:52 2022] disk 2, o:1, dev:sdb3
[Sat Apr 23 17:55:52 2022] md/raid:md127: failed to run raid set.

It reports that md127 only see 2/4 partitions, but the RAID5 would require 3/4 partitions. Due to different sized disks, you have multiple raid instanced which the filesystem "glues" together. It appears that you have 3 different raid instances for the data. One of these raids can't start and that causes the entire data volume to be inaccessible.

You have enough disks in the box to start these raids and the disks are healthy. I very much suspect the issue is that the partition table on sdc (Disk 1) is messed up. It is missing partitions... definitely missing sdc3 and possibly sdc4 as well. But the lack of sdc3 is the reason that the raid fails to assemble.

8 16 7814026584 sdb
8 17 4194304 sdb1
8 18 524288 sdb2
8 19 3902297912 sdb3
8 20 976754027 sdb4
8 21 2930255992 sdb5
8 32 7814026584 sdc
8 37 2930255992 sdc5

We have seen before that partitions goes missing, for unknown reasons. I cannot see any health issues on the remaining disks and the logs don't immediately indicate why this happened. The solution would be to copy the correct partition layout (likely from disk 2 - sdb), to disk 1 (sdc). That should allow the raids to assemble properly.

However, one should look at the md-superblocks to ensure this is done correctly. Netgear should assist with this, realistically. I agree with @StephenB on that. They used to offer some data recovery service, and I think they still do. Not sure how you would go about making a ticket these days. Perhaps @StephenB knows (or maybe we need to tag the forums mods?)

Cheers

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@rn_enthusiast wrote:

Netgear should assist with this, realistically. I agree with @StephenB on that. They used to offer some data recovery service, and I think they still do. Not sure how you would go about making a ticket these days. Perhaps @StephenB knows (or maybe we need to tag the forums mods?)

Best to tag the mods ( @Mark_V and @JeraldM )

Message 8 of 12
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Thanks @StephenB 

@Vincefr34I would not advise to try this on your own. Logs don't contain everything and I am conjecturing that you just need a fix to the sdc (disk 1) partition table but it is important to point out that one should examine md-superblocks and look at the md-logs to determine/confirm that this is the correct action to take. Doing this incorrectly or taking the wrong action can cause even more issues. Letting Netgear Level 3 support assess the situation, is the best at this point.

Message 9 of 12
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Vincefr34,

Thanks for the ping @StephenB!

I've sent you a PM regarding this so we can create a case and escalate it to L3.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 12
Vincefr34
Aspirant

thanks to all for the help and to put me in touch with L3.

Very much appreciated.

Vincent

Message 11 of 12
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Hi @JeraldM 

You sent your PM to me, instead of @Vincefr34 

By mistake, I assume.

Please PM @Vincefr34 instead.

Thanks

Message 12 of 12