× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

after reset to factory default - behavior of HHDs?

D0ZA
Aspirant

after reset to factory default - behavior of HHDs?

Hi Community,

the last few days I had a common boot problems with my DUO (just a blinking blue LED) and after a lot of failed rescue attempts I finally decided to choose the factory default....

so I removed my 2 HDDs (à 1TB Seagate) and did the factory reset. -> after a while the DUO performed a reboot but I neihter could access via Raidar nor via Web-Frontend.
Because I red that a HDD might be formatted after the reset I tried to put an old HDD into the DUO to be on the save side. -> NAS did start and I could access via frontend.

I ran an update to the latest FW version - everything works properly now ......

Now my Question -> If I remove the old disk and put my 2 original disks into the NAS, what will happen after a restart? Will the NAS format the HDDs or will it just work as desired and all the data is available again?

Thanks in advance for any response 🙂

BR
Thomas
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: after reset to factory default - behavior of HHDs?

It might boot or you might need to try an OS Re-install to update the firmware on the disks to what is in the flash.
Message 2 of 11
D0ZA
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast response 🙂

This means I must not be afraid that the NAS will destroy the data unasked?

If I need to reinstall the OS:
- do you have an instruction for me or a link to a previous post how to do this?
- can this be done without data loss? (sorry for my pessimism but red awful things in some posts 😉 )

thanks!
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

OS install and other boot menu options are here: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... _boot_menu

You do need to confirm whether you have a v1 or a v2 first, in order to select the right procedure. The labels can be misleading, so you should use this guide: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/

OS reinstall should not harm data, though you do need to be very careful not to do a factory default by mistake.

Also, note that the OS reinstall will reset your IP interface to use DHCP, and also will reset your admin password to the default (either netgear1 or password in your case, depending on whether you have a v1 or v2).
Message 4 of 11
D0ZA
Aspirant

the good news: I do know now that I have a DUO v1...

the bad news:
- after putting my original HDD into the NAS I performed the (v1 specific) OS reinstall
- -> NAS was blinking and I asume it performed the OS reinstall
- this is the current Raidar status: blue light on the very left side, than mac, modell, host (the prvious name before reset !?), IP Adress (new one, now DHCP assigned as expected) and the green lights under the icons, status: "checking file system 0%" (hope the traslation is correct as I'm using german language)

Current situation:
- what the ready NAS now does is: 30 sec blue blinking then 2sec constant glow, then blinking again ans so forth....
- Raidar status is steady with 0% (for hours and hours)
- still no access neither via filesystem nor frontend

any ideas?
Message 5 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

You probably have a bad disk.
Do you have a backup and was your volume redundant?
You could try booting with each disk in turn:
Power down , remove disk 1 then try to boot, if this works disk 1 is probably bad.
If it doesn't work, power down, replace disk 1, remove disk 2 and try to boot again.
Alternatively power off and test each disk with vendor tools.
Message 6 of 11
D0ZA
Aspirant

ad 1) if I have a bad disk, why does Raidar show me green lights and no error message in the infotext ? is this still possible?
ad 2) I've 2 disk RAID1
ad 3) I tried to boot with each HDD separately
- disk 1) status=blue, disk=green, info= "checking file system 0%"
- disk 2) status=blue, disk=green, info= "corrupt root " --> well then?
ad 4) ok, I'll try to do this... ==> is it possible to access to the data on the disk from a windows pc?
Message 7 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

It looks like disk 2 may be the problem.
When you booted with disk 1, that looks like normal behaviour.
There are numerous complaints on the forum about the poor specificity with which the readynas reports disk problems.
Message 8 of 11
D0ZA
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
It looks like disk 2 may be the problem.
When you booted with disk 1, that looks like normal behaviour.
There are numerous complaints on the forum about the poor specificity with which the readynas reports disk problems.

from my point of view I expect that if I put disk 1 into the NAS and let it boot the NAS should stop blinking after at least 24 hours an give me access to my data, right?
But shouldn't Raidar show me any progress with the info "checking file system 0%" during/after 24hrs?
Message 9 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

Yes, had you waited for 24 hours
I woul perhaps contact support.
Message 10 of 11
D0ZA
Aspirant

well, my biggest painpoint is solved !! I could restore all the data after putting one disk into my pc and save the data with linux-reader http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

after the restore I'll try to make another factory default reset with both disks... let's see what happens after that...
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements