× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by April 1st, 2023. For more details click here.

automatically boot and shutdown for backup

Lennardo
Tutor

automatically boot and shutdown for backup

Hallo,

i have a ReadyNAS 516 with my data and a old ReadyNAS314  which i want to use for backup. I got it running and backing up fine. But i cant find a option to shutdown RN314 after backup is finished. I found the power timer. But this allows me just to start up at a time (okay, thats what i want) and shut down at a time (this i dont want). Is there a way to tell RN314 to shut down after the backup is finished (and not too early)?

Thank you

Lennardo

Message 1 of 8
cathcam
Tutor

Re: automatically boot and shutdown for backup

I'm interested in an answer to this. Over on this thread it says "If the backup is running it should not power off."

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Backup-task-and-Scheduled-power-On-Off/m-p/9247...

Message 2 of 8
cathcam
Tutor

I have a daily backup job scheduled for midnight. I'll set the NAS to power-up at 11:45, do a 145Gb backup and power off at 00:05, I doubt the backup will be complete and I can see if it powers off...

Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

@cathcam wrote:

I'm interested in an answer to this. Over on this thread it says "If the backup is running it should not power off."

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Backup-task-and-Scheduled-power-On-Off/m-p/9247...

That's still the answer. 

Message 4 of 8
omicron_persei8
Luminary

What about if you have two jobs (job1 schedule is 00:05-02:05, job2 is 01:05 to 03:05). Power schedule is 00:00-02:00.
If job1 is not finished at 02:00, the NAS won't shutdown, fine. But would job2 start before shutdown? Or would the NAS shutdown straight after job1 completes?
Without power schedule, job2 would only start from 01:05 after job1 is complete or forced start at 03:05 regardless of job1 status.
Message 5 of 8
Lennardo
Tutor

I got a log entry 'scheduled power-off was delayed'. So it seems the backupjob has priority above power-off. I am test now some sitruation and will give feedback in a few days.

Lennardo

Message 6 of 8
cathcam
Tutor

"I got a log entry 'scheduled power-off was delayed'. So it seems the backupjob has priority above power-off."

That matches my experiment last night. I set the NVX NAS to wakeup at 23:45, and power off at 00:30. I then created a backup job that ran on that NVX, and using RYSNC copied/pulled the data from my primary NVX, starting at 00:05

The backup NVX powered on at 23:45, the backup job took 54-minutes to complete and the backup NVX powered off afterwards.

Message 7 of 8
cathcam
Tutor

Also, since my backup NAS is in the basement, I enabled Wake on Lan and can use a number of programs on my laptop or even my phone when connected to wifi to wakeup and Power-on the NAS. This allows me to run adhoc backups/restores without trecking down to the basement to switch the NVX NAS on. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements