× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: automatically delete video files script

davesumm
Luminary

automatically delete video files script

G'day, all

I've just bought a few (Hikvision) IP cameras and was wondering if there was a nice way of automating the NAS to delete files of a certain age in order to free up space and allow continuous recording. I can do it from a PC but that defeats the purpose of having the NAS. I'd rather it was managed by the NAS itself.

Is this possible or do I need an NVR?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Using SSH (we don't support using that) scheduling a script to do this would be pretty straightforward if you know what you're doing.

Message 2 of 4
davesumm
Luminary

Can you pretend I don't know what I'm doing? In fact, don't pretend 😉

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Rather than an NVR, you may also want to look into other options.  I's suggest the products that run on the NAS itself, but with a 100 series NAS, that's probably pressing your luck for 24/7 recording of 3 cameras unless it's a slow frame rate and/or low resolution.  I personally use Blue Iris and have the NAS as the backup device.  The software takes care of moving files to backup and cleaning up the backup.  I run it on an old CORE2 machine and it takes care of 6 cameras just fine (though only one is 1080P).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements