× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

backups from pc failing after upgrade

rodcrit
Luminary

backups from pc failing after upgrade

after installing the upgrade 6.9.0 my backups from my PC no longer work

the backups ( 15 of them ) all start and remain in the " in progress" state.  in previous version they remained in the " in queue" state until next one could be actioned - now they all go to in progress straight away but dont do anything.

on testing the source, I find that it is reporting invalid user name or password.  my PC access is not protected by user name or password and in the previous version there was no problem with access of the PC with these fields left blank.

the only thing that has changed is the update to 6.9.0.

please advise...   I have no backups running now since the upgrade to 6.9.0.

Model: RN20442D|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: backups from pc failing after upgrade

For anybody experiencing an issue with backup jobs remaining in "in progress" on SMB timestamp backup jobs, we have posted a hot-fix to resolve that issue, and your system should be automatically updated some time in the next week.  If you'd like the receive the update immediately, you can reboot your NAS and it should be updated within 15 minutes.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 35

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I've seen a couple of reports of failed backup jobs using SMB, and have suggested to Netgear that they should follow up.

In the meantime, I suggest putting the PC user credentials into the backup job, and see if that changes anything.

Message 2 of 35
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@rodcrit

6.9.0 add encryption feature on SMB Setting.

Did you set SMB encrypton as Desired or Requrired?

If set SMB encrypton as Desired or Requrired, it won't allow Anonymous access.

Message 3 of 35
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rodcrit,

Could you please download the logs of your NAS and send it to me? Please just follow this:

https://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators

Thanks,

-Leia

Message 4 of 35
Kimera
Guide

@evan2 wrote:

@rodcrit

6.9.0 add encryption feature on SMB Setting.

Did you set SMB encrypton as Desired or Requrired?

If set SMB encrypton as Desired or Requrired, it won't allow Anonymous access.

Do you mean that explicitly setting "Disabled" (see here to understand why I ask this silly question WRT the issue reported) on each Share will be temporary workaround?

Message 5 of 35
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@Kimera

SMB encryption default is default Enable, it doesn't required encrypt,

I saw @rodcrit report " I find that it is reporting invalid user name or password.  my PC access is not protected by user name or password",

so I ask him if set SMB encryption as "Desired" or "Required",

for SMB backup issue, I reproduced it on my Windows 10 and RN102 (6.9.0).

Message 6 of 35
stevenestrada
Aspirant

>> all start and remain in the " in progress" <<

same here

every backup is stuck in progress

rn314 + 6.9.0

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 7 of 35
rodcrit
Luminary

Yes....   you will probably find that if you go to settingts on the backup detail  -  and go to source -  and test connection... you will get invalid user name and password ( Even if you do not have them set up anyway ).

if you do this and find some other report,  would be useful for Netgear to know I think.

🙂

Message 8 of 35
rodcrit
Luminary

SMB encryption....     my SMB encryption is set  -  presumably  -  to what it has always been   -   "enabled".  I have not made any changes.   has the 6.9.0 update changed anything here?

Message 9 of 35
stevenestrada
Aspirant

my test connection button works fine
Message 10 of 35
Kimera
Guide

@rodcrit wrote:

Yes....   you will probably find that if you go to settingts on the backup detail  -  and go to source -  and test connection... you will get invalid user name and password ( Even if you do not have them set up anyway ).

Not necessarily...in my case I did the Test Connection - was the very first test I did - and the result is OK for each share considered (as posted in other Threads my configuration is a RN314 joined to a Windows AD...and accesses to CIFS/SMB Share on a Server host are OK).

Message 11 of 35
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

For anybody experiencing an issue with backup jobs remaining in "in progress" on SMB timestamp backup jobs, we have posted a hot-fix to resolve that issue, and your system should be automatically updated some time in the next week.  If you'd like the receive the update immediately, you can reboot your NAS and it should be updated within 15 minutes.

Message 12 of 35
Kimera
Guide

That's great @Skywalker!

Do I wake up a little bit too early or is the Hot Fix not yet released officially?

I did a reboot 5 minutes ago (00:55 CEST) and no new software is available: I checked for updates on "Long-Term Support" which is my default, the "Stable" and the "Beta" branches but the message is always the same laconic: "Your system is currently running the latest firmware. Your system does not need a firmware update".

Is there an alternative way (URL) to obtain such Hot Fix (thus being able to install it manually)?

I would love to test it ASAP and report back.

Message 13 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The hot fix is installed automatically in the background. It’s not a firmware update.
Message 14 of 35
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I noticed that CDN propagation is taking longer than normal; so if it's not currently working for you, do one more reboot in an hour or so, and it should start working.

Message 15 of 35
Kimera
Guide

Thanks @Skywalker and @mdgm-ntgr.

I'm going to try in few hours.

Just a question: is there a way (Through CLI included) to directly check/verify if the background update (hot fix) has been deployed once I reboot?

Like seeing (cat /var/log/dpkg.log as admin) 6.9.0+3 popping up after my previous 00:55 CEST reboot:

2017-10-31 00:59:34 startup packages configure
2017-10-31 01:01:41 startup archives unpack
2017-10-31 01:01:41 upgrade readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+2 6.9.0+3
2017-10-31 01:01:41 status half-configured readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+2
2017-10-31 01:01:42 status unpacked readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+2
2017-10-31 01:01:42 status half-installed readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+2
2017-10-31 01:01:42 status half-installed readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+2
2017-10-31 01:01:42 status unpacked readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+3
2017-10-31 01:01:42 status unpacked readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+3
2017-10-31 01:01:43 startup packages configure
2017-10-31 01:01:43 configure readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+3 <none>
2017-10-31 01:01:43 status unpacked readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+3
2017-10-31 01:01:43 status half-configured readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+3
2017-10-31 01:01:43 status installed readynasos:amd64 6.9.0+3
2017-10-31 01:01:43 startup packages configure

and (cat /var/log/apt/term.log as root):

Log started: 2017-10-31  01:01:41
(Reading database ... 13599 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../readynasos_6.9.0+3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking readynasos (6.9.0+3) over (6.9.0+2) ...
Setting up readynasos (6.9.0+3) ...
Log ended: 2017-10-31  01:01:43

or (cat /var/log/apt/history.log as admin):

Start-Date: 2017-10-31  01:01:41
Commandline: apt-get -qq install -fy rn-dictionary freeapp-collection readynasos ca-certificates
Upgrade: readynasos:amd64 (6.9.0+2, 6.9.0+3)
End-Date: 2017-10-31  01:01:43

Definitely something after last reboot was automatically installed...

Message 16 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, that's what you're looking for, though the current version is 6.9.0+4

The quickest way to check if it's installed would be to do e.g.

# dpkg -l readynasos

This will tell you the installed status of the package and the package version

You can also find this information in the logs zip file e.g. by looking at packages.log

Message 17 of 35
Kimera
Guide

Yep, I noticed that. Wasn't totally sure so I rebooted 5 minutes ago and did a post-reboot check to see if there was anything more...

root@nas01:~# apt update
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org jessie/updates InRelease
Hit:2 http://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.9.0 InRelease
Ign:3 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian jessie InRelease
Hit:4 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian jessie Release
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.
root@nas01:~# apt list --upgradeable
Listing... Done
readynasos/6.9.0 6.9.0+4 amd64 [upgradable from: 6.9.0+3]
N: There is 1 additional version. Please use the '-a' switch to see it
root@nas01:~# apt list --upgradeable -a
Listing... Done
readynasos/6.9.0 6.9.0+4 amd64 [upgradable from: 6.9.0+3]
readynasos/now 6.9.0+3 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 6.9.0+4]

Is 6.9.0+4 related or I can safely ignore it (as explained on a post below, it was already automatically installed after my last reboot) and just go to test my affected Backup Jobs using the running 6.9.0+3?

@mdgm-ntgrthanks for the command!

Message 18 of 35
Kimera
Guide

Great. Affected ReadyNAS managed Backup Jobs work again (Completed!). Really good job and prompt actions mates. Thanks, really. Davide.

Message 19 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The NAS would automatically install any available hot-fixes within 15 minutes of a reboot and weekly after that so by now you could well find the 6.9.0+4 update has been installed already.

I would check after it's installed the latest hot-fix.

Message 20 of 35
Kimera
Guide

Received. Done, it works flawlessly also with 6.9.0+4.

Message 21 of 35
Sandshark
Sensei

I can understand the need for a hot fix method so critical updates are not ignored.  But I really do think it should be in the log that one has occurred just in case the cure is worse than the disease.  It would be good for a non-SSH user to know when it happened.

I also hope that the files that can be downloaded are already fixed so that anyone operating in an environment without internet availability can just re-install 6.9.0 manually to get the fix.

There are a lot of threads that seem to be related.  I hope the word gets out to all affected.

Message 22 of 35
Kimera
Guide

@Sandshark wrote:

I can understand the need for a hot fix method so critical updates are not ignored.  But I really do think it should be in the log that one has occurred just in case the cure is worse than the disease.  It would be good for a non-SSH user to know when it happened.

Correct. I agree. Was thinking about the same thing (I was a little bit surprised about the Hot-Fix autonomous install process as it was described...pardon me if I didn't know about it). I add: not only when it happened...but if it happened. Now I'm in cautious mode... ;-).

Logs history I saw on my unit shows that Hot-Fix(es) are seldom seen...so the fact 6.9.0+3 and 6.9.0+4 are jumped in as described is due to the necessity of hot-fixing without manual user intervention (reboot a part, that can also be scheduled...I personally don't do that).

@Sandshark wrote:

I also hope that the files that can be downloaded are already fixed so that anyone operating in an environment without internet availability can just re-install 6.9.0 manually to get the fix.

There are a lot of threads that seem to be related.  I hope the word gets out to all affected.

Good point. Really ReadyNAS OS was 6.9.0 or, as I saw it on logs, was already at 6.9.0+2 when I upgraded on October, 26th?

Is like asking: download from ReadyNAS and manual download from Netgear Support web site point to the same version of ReadyNAS OS or what?

Message 23 of 35
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We won’t build a new 6.9.0 image. Doing that would require going through the release process all over again.

The hot-fix allows us to push out urgent fixes that can’t wait for the next production release (6.9.1).

I haven’t tested applying the hot-fix on offline systems but that should be possible.
Message 24 of 35
atb48
Guide

Since upgrading to 6.9.0 I have not been able to backup anything!  I have taken note of the issue of firmware releases and hot-fixes. So, I have now rebooted twice and checked the system logs and have seen no reference to any hot-fixes being applied - the system still is reporting 6.9.0 as the Firmware.

Please, what can I do to reinstate the essential backups?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements