× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can I downgrade from 6.9.10 beta to 6.9.3

pvnnpavan
Tutor

can I downgrade from 6.9.10 beta to 6.9.3

I am having smb issues where copy or moving files between shares are causing hang.

Would like to downgrade from 6.9.10 beta to 6.9.3.

Can some one please confirm if this can be done without issues
Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@pvnnpavan wrote:

Would like to downgrade from 6.9.10 beta to 6.9.3.

Can some one please confirm if this can be done without issues

You must mean the 6.10 beta, not 6.9.10. 

The beta release notes for 6.10 say no.  It's possible that it would work anyway, perhaps PM @OOM-9 and ask.

Please try not to make duplicate posts for the same issue.

Message 2 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Yes it's 6.10 beta..so can it be done...as u said read me says no...just want to make sure my day will not be corrupted
Message 3 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

sent PM to Moderator.  Lets see what happens.

Message 4 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@pvnnpavan wrote:
Yes it's 6.10 beta..so can it be done...as u said read me says no...just want to make sure my data will not be corrupted

Well, it might be corrupted I guess, and it's possible that there could be other issues with the OS partition.  That's why I suggested asking OOM-9.

I haven't seen any posts here from users who have tried to downgrade from 6.10.

Message 5 of 20
TeknoJnky
Hero

@pvnnpavan wrote:
I am having smb issues where copy or moving files between shares are causing hang.

I have also experienced hangs, I think I have narrowed it down to copying between shares due to some interactio with the btrfs subvolumes.

Message 6 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Want to update.. downgrading to 6.9.5 beta frp, 6.10 beta did not work as intended.  Even tough SMB related issue is sorted..and I am abl eto copy files properly.. Main front end admin page failed to start.  After checking it seems Apache is failing to start.

I need to check on this.

Message 7 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Front end is not working if you downgrade from 6.10 beta... probably Apache upgrade to 2.4 might be causing this. So back to 6.10 beta..and with it smb file copy issue is back..:(

Netgear..why are you releasing buggy products and causing issues to us.
Message 8 of 20
TeknoJnky
Hero

well, the whole purpose of a beta is to release to wider audience to identify issues.

If you want most stable, you should have stayed on release 😞

Message 9 of 20
TeknoJnky
Hero

in an effort to consolidate and identify the root issue, and put in the proper forum, I posted a new thread @ https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/6-10-t185-beta-2-smb-issues-copying-between-s...

please follow up there and add any additional information or experience that you have regarding the copy issue so hopefully netgear team can get it fixed for next build.

Message 10 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Thanks
Message 11 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Well issue started with 6.9.4 hotfix1 stable. I bought Nas 1 year before I never updated to beta. I came to beta since it's higher version than stable...assumed I should not go backwards...maybe should have read readme carefully. File copy is a very basic requirement of NAS how did they miss this.
Message 12 of 20
ctechs
Apprentice

I'm hoping we can get everyone back to this thread when 6.9.5 final and 6.10.0 final are released to see if this issue has actually been corrected...we upgraded to 6.9.4 two weeks ago and in the time since have had two what I would call hard SMB client hangs on random files accompanied by spiraling system load on copying files from and to shares. Each time required a reboot  during business hours to resolve. This thread seems to describe the same sort of problem. Have since downgraded to 6.9.3 to hopefully resolve. Disks and file system have tested fine after each event. Why is a LTS release with such a severe issue still in the wild? Yikes.

Message 13 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

I am going to stay on 6.3 atleast for some time..all I need is file share...don't want to take risk and spend time on sorting it out by upgrading.
Message 14 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

I mean 6.9.3
Message 15 of 20
maik0055
Aspirant

Hello,

is it really impossible for the End User to downgrade back to 6.9.5 after updating to 6.10 RC2 ?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 16 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

Yes..I remember moving back and was working when I went fronm beta to 6.9.3.

But there were some issues with admin page and we need to sort it out with terminal access....
Message 17 of 20
maik0055
Aspirant

If I upload 6.9.5 via WebUI I only get the message that the firmware is older then the firmware on the device.

I have no problem to factory reset the device and lose all data but it won't even let me flash old firmware?
Message 18 of 20
pvnnpavan
Tutor

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Firmware-upgrade-using-SSH-OS6/td-p...

Try this option...I used this one only last time when I lost admin page access..
But u need to have ssh access...more over it's still risky...if you are not comfortable...I suggest you take help from support.
Message 19 of 20
maik0055
Aspirant

thank you.

But that sounds a bit to risky even for me...

So I just did a complete factory reset now with 6.10RC2

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements