× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: can not delete readynas 102 snapshots

yahtzee
Tutor

can not delete readynas 102 snapshots

I can not delete snapshots.  They are filling up most of the hard drive.  I can see them when I turn on the viewing of the snapshopt folder.  They go back 4 years and it seems they have never been automatically deleted (they go back 4 years).  However, they do not show up in either the recovery optioin or the timeline optioin.  I can see the snapshot folder when I view the share from a PC.  I tested deleting a couple of them (there are dozens of them and that is just for one of the shares) but that does not change the amout of free data on the Readynas.  At one point I was able to see a few snapshots on the timeline.  I was able to delete a couple of them, but most of the deletions failed with an error message,now all have disappeared.  Any ideas on how to delete them?  Prefer to delete from recover option since I am supposed to be able to delete multiple snapshots at once. since there are several hundred of them. 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

First of all, if you use the SMART snapshots, the monthly snapshots are never deleted.  So I always recommend using Custom snapshots instead - where you can set retention.

On the space reclamation - deleting a couple of snapshots often won't free up space.  Generally you get the most space gain by deleting the oldest snapshots first.  Often you need to run a balance afterwards to fully reclaim the space.

You could try deleting them all using ssh.  Though since your volume is very old, I suggest backing up your data, doing a factory reset, reconfiguring the NAS, and restoring the data from the backup.  You'll find that not only solves the snapshot issue, it should also improve your overall system performance.  Netgear has improved the btrfs configuration over of the years, but those improvements only take hold on a new volume.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

First of all, if you use the SMART snapshots, the monthly snapshots are never deleted.  So I always recommend using Custom snapshots instead - where you can set retention.

On the space reclamation - deleting a couple of snapshots often won't free up space.  Generally you get the most space gain by deleting the oldest snapshots first.  Often you need to run a balance afterwards to fully reclaim the space.

You could try deleting them all using ssh.  Though since your volume is very old, I suggest backing up your data, doing a factory reset, reconfiguring the NAS, and restoring the data from the backup.  You'll find that not only solves the snapshot issue, it should also improve your overall system performance.  Netgear has improved the btrfs configuration over of the years, but those improvements only take hold on a new volume.

Message 2 of 5
yahtzee
Tutor

I assume the proceedure for doing a Factory Reset would be -

Backup data (I have a HD attached to the front USB)

Do Reset

Update firmware

Recreate Shares and folders

Restore data

Recreate users and permissions

Recreate backups

Where do I find Custom snapshots and disable Smart snapshots?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@yahtzee wrote:

I assume the proceedure for doing a Factory Reset would be -

Yes.

@yahtzee wrote:

Where do I find Custom snapshots and disable Smart snapshots?

Just go to the settings for each share, and navigate to snapshot settings.  There's a toggle at the top of the page to switch between Smart snapshots and Custom snapshots.  

Message 4 of 5
yahtzee
Tutor

Thanks. Followed you advice to reset and restore. Everything seems ok now. Set custom snapshots.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements