× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot access the admin page

delange
Tutor

cannot access the admin page

Hello,

Out of the blue I'm unable to access the admin webpage. It says connection refused. 

I still have SSH access though. Tried rebooting my NAS but this did not solve the issue.

How can I solve this issue? 

Thank you!

Model: RNDX400E|ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Chassis only
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: cannot access the admin page

Ok.  So it's definitely not a full OS partition.  One thing you can try is to do an OS reinstall from the front panel.  See pages 21ff here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

That will reset your IP configuration to use DHCP, and also reset the admin/root password to netgear1.

Though this procedure generally won't affect your data, it might be wise to make sure you have an up-to-date backup first.

Another option is to contact paid support, and have them troubleshoot it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Can you grab the log zip file via RAIDar?

Message 2 of 11
delange
Tutor

I haven't got RAIDar installed (since I never use that).

Do you know where the logs are located? I could grab them through SSH. 

Thank you! 

Message 3 of 11
delange
Tutor

I just downloaded and installed RAIDar but it seems I can't download the log files because I have an ReadyNAS NVX. The firmware is up to date (4.2.31) but RAIDar says I need version 6.2.3 or later. I guess this feature is only available on more current ReadyNAS's. 

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@delange wrote:

I just downloaded and installed RAIDar but it seems I can't download the log files because I have an ReadyNAS NVX. The firmware is up to date (4.2.31) but RAIDar says I need version 6.2.3 or later. I guess this feature is only available on more current ReadyNAS's. 

Yes (and although some legacy NAS can be converted to OS-6, the NVX isn't one of them).

Can you check how full the OS partition is (and post the results here)?

# cd //
# df . -h
# df . -i

The first df command will tell us the free space, the second one will tell us the number of free inodes.

Message 5 of 11
delange
Tutor

Sure can; here are the results:

# df . -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 4.0G 759M 3.1G 20% /

# df . -i
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/md0 131072 14179 116893 11% /

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  So it's definitely not a full OS partition.  One thing you can try is to do an OS reinstall from the front panel.  See pages 21ff here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/ReadyNAS_Ultra_UltraPlus_NVX_Pro_HW_en_8July11.p...

That will reset your IP configuration to use DHCP, and also reset the admin/root password to netgear1.

Though this procedure generally won't affect your data, it might be wise to make sure you have an up-to-date backup first.

Another option is to contact paid support, and have them troubleshoot it.

Message 7 of 11
delange
Tutor

Thank you for your help so far!

If I understand this correctly, the OS Reinstall feature will install a fresh copy of the OS. But does that mean it is an old version of the OS? 

Message 8 of 11
delange
Tutor

In preparation of an OS reinstall and documenting some of my configurations I stumbled upon the log files. And I decided to browse some the log files to see if I could find something in particular related to my issue. 

There is an entry in the /var/log/syslog that caught my eye: 

Aug 27 17:58:53 Bigbear RAIDiator: nic.agent: "nice -n 5 /usr/sbin/apache-ssl -f /etc/frontview/apache/httpd.conf" failed to start.

It seems apache isn't running due to some (at this time unkown) issue. Looking into the httpd.conf file I noticed an entry where it tries to load a perl module: LoadModule perl_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_perl.so

Maybe this is a coincidence but just a few days before my troubles with accessing the admin page began I tried to update Logitech Media Server. But immediatly after the update LMS crashes at startup due to a segfault in a perl module: 

Aug 26 08:53:51 Bigbear kernel: squeezeboxserve[25553]: segfault at ff ip 000000ff sp bfe75f9c error 4 in perl[8048000+100000]

I did disable LMS and tried to resolve it with the Slimdevices Forum. 

Could this be related?

Is it possible there is a problem with perl on my NAS? 

And if so, is there a way to reinstall perl properly? 

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@delange wrote:

Could this be related?

Is it possible there is a problem with perl on my NAS? 

And if so, is there a way to reinstall perl properly? 

It certainly could be related.  LMS is also using apache, and if it corrupted the apache configuration somehow then the admin interface would also be affected.

It might be possible to repair the damage with ssh, but I'm not sure how.  Another option (painful but sure) is to back up all the data and do a factory reset.  Then rebuild the NAS from scratch and restore the data from the backup.

Message 10 of 11
delange
Tutor

Assembled all my curage together and performed a OS Reinstall. 

My NAS is up and running again and the admin page is accessible too. 

Thank you for your help StephenB !!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements