× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot free up storage on nas box

albback
Aspirant

cannot free up storage on nas box

help when i delete files my remaining storage does not change(increase)

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
albback
Aspirant

Re: cannot free up storage on nas box

firmware 6.10.2 the latest one, OMG thank you stephen,its working im doing a balance at the moment have retreive nearly 1.5 TB so im more than happy,i will change from never to custom 3 month after i delete one more snapshot which will leave me the latest one.can i back up to a external hard drive.i cannot thank you enough for you help.i will look into what you are recommending and no doubt you will be helping me again.

Regards

Alan

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi albback,

Do you have the snapshots enabled?

You can try running a volume balance. You can find that option under System > Volumes then click the gear icon on your volume then select Balance.

Regards,

Message 2 of 12
albback
Aspirant

balance did not make and diffrence i not to sure about how to get to  snapshot but it looks enabled

Message 3 of 12
albback
Aspirant

snapshot is set to daily.i only have 160GB out of 3 TB,can you help ,it looks like i snapshots from Jan2014 to 31 Oct 2019

Message 4 of 12
albback
Aspirant

Hi John.Thank you for your help

cheers

Al

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@albback wrote:

snapshot is set to daily.i only have 160GB out of 3 TB,can you help ,it looks like i snapshots from Jan2014 to 31 Oct 2019

That's likely the issue then. If you don't have a backup of your data, you should take care of that first.  BTRFS can misbehave if it runs out of free space, so your data is at risk.  If you don't have a backup disk handy, then disable snapshots for now, and avoid writing more data to the NAS until you can make one.

Delete all the snapshots you don't care about (starting with the oldest).  You do that from using the web UI - just select them, and right-click.  You'll see a delete option. It will take some time for the space to come back after you delete them. After you get some space back, run another balance.

Another option (IMO better) is to do a factory default, reconfigure the NAS and restore the data from your backup.  There have been improvements to the BTRFS file system setup since 2014, so you likely would see faster performance if you rebuild the NAS (especially on an RN102).  If your firmware is very old, then update it after the factory default, and then do a second factory default.

You can prevent this problem from recurring by switching over to "custom" snapshots and explicitly setting retention.  I set most of my shares to 3 months retention - which keeps the snapshot space reasonable for me.  Though this does depend on how much file deletion or in-place modification you do.  Shares that are used for torrent downloads or which hold on-line databases should have snapshots disabled.

Or of course disable snapshots altogether.  Though I do find them useful, so I wouldn't do that myself.

Message 6 of 12
albback
Aspirant

hi Stephen.

im deleting all snapshots apart from 30/10/19 and 30/10/19 in all my folders,when will i get some storage back also can i  add another hard drive without losing everything that is on the drive i already have.

cheers

Al

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@albback wrote:

im deleting all snapshots apart from 30/10/19 and 30/10/19 in all my folders,when will i get some storage back

What firmware are you running?

I don't want to harp on the need for backups too much, but you do need to understand that your data is particularly at risk at the moment (and even if you add a second disk, RAID-1 isn't enough to keep your data safe).  A lot of people who've posted here have learned that lesson the hard way.  Backups are less expensive than data recovery, and data recovery often doesn't get your data back.

I'm not sure how long it will take to get all the storage back - it runs as a background activity.  But you should start to see it climb fairly quickly (less than an hour).

@albback wrote:

also can i  add another hard drive without losing everything that is on the drive i already have.

The process for adding a disk depends on the goal. Is your goal to add more storage capacity, or is your goal to get RAID-1 protection from a routine disk failure?  

If you are using the default XRAID, then hot-inserting a second (blank) disk will add it to the existing volume.  You'll see no space increase, instead the volume will end up protected as RAID-1.  If the current disk is healthy, there will be no data loss.  If the current disk has errors (perhaps not detected yet), the volume might fail, and there will be data loss.  The new disk needs to be at least as large as the one you already have installed ( 3 TB?).  I recommend NAS-purposed disks for the RN100 series - WD Reds or Seagate Ironwolf.  I don't recommend desktop drives for any NAS, and IMO enterprise drives are over-kill for that NAS.

If you want more space, then you'd turn off XRAID before you hot-insert the new disk.  Then you'd create a second (jbod) volume for the new disk.  You create some shares on each volume (possibly moving some of your existing shares to the new one).  Generally speaking, you want to balance the free space so it is approximately the same on both volumes.  With BTRFS you really don't want to get more than about 80% full - especially if snapshots are enabled.

Message 8 of 12
albback
Aspirant

firmware 6.10.2 the latest one, OMG thank you stephen,its working im doing a balance at the moment have retreive nearly 1.5 TB so im more than happy,i will change from never to custom 3 month after i delete one more snapshot which will leave me the latest one.can i back up to a external hard drive.i cannot thank you enough for you help.i will look into what you are recommending and no doubt you will be helping me again.

Regards

Alan

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I was able to help.

@albback wrote:

can i back up to a external hard drive.

Yes, and that is usually the most cost-effective way to do it.  Generally people connect a USB drive to the NAS, and use the built in backup jobs in the web UI.  If you do that, I suggest formatting the drive as NTFS - that ensures you can access the backup from both Windows and a Mac. A backup you can't read on another device isn't very useful.

It is also possible to connect the USB drive to a PC, and back up the NAS over the network.  Though that can also be done with the built-in backup tools, I'd suggest using something like FreeFileSync running in the PC instead. This is a bit harder to set up - but one advantage is that it is easier to confirm that the backups are running as you expect.

Yet another approach is to back up the NAS to another NAS.  That's what I do myself.  It is more expensive, but I find it to be convenient.  It also ensures that the data is immediately available if the primary NAS fails.  If you want faster performance (or want the AntiVirus service back), then you might consider this approach - getting a newer NAS (RN21x or perhaps the RN42x) and using the RN102 as the backup.

When you get to implementing the backup plan, create a new post and people here can help you through it. 

Message 10 of 12
albback
Aspirant

hi Stephen,

i am moving to Windows 10 my nas box   RAIDar  info is 4.3.8 firmware 6.10.2 im thinking

of buying a new pc or adding a ssd drive to the one i have as it is powerful enough  what will i have to do to the windows 10 pc so it recognises my nas box.is there an easy way of doing it my nas box is healthy 

regards

Alan

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@albback wrote:

what will i have to do to the windows 10 pc so it recognises my nas box.

You shouldn't need to do anything special - you should be able to access the shares from Windows File Explorer.  Just enter \\nas-hostname or \\nas-ip-address into the address bar (using the actual hostname or IP address of course).

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements