× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cannot get over 100 mpbs while backing up

luckyinpa
Aspirant

cannot get over 100 mpbs while backing up

with my WD mycloud id get over 500 mbps over ethernet. i've been using readynas for 2 weeks now to do many different backups and just notice not a single one went over 100 mbps. i must be missing a setting or something?

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Is the ethernet LED showing amber (fast ethernet) or green (gigabit)?

Have you tried swapping the cables used by the two NAS?  Maybe also try swapping the ports used in the router/switch.

You should be getting 100 MB/s for large file transfers.

Message 2 of 8
luckyinpa
Aspirant

my laptop is hooked up directly to the router and i see no lights on either end of the cable (archer c7 router) ac 1750

i have a cable going from the router to a switch and from that switch one cable goes to the mycloud and other cable goes to NAS

both lights on the switch are green

when i go to network settings and ethernet status on the laptop it says 1 gbps. if i disconnect , the wifi is less than 200 mbps

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@luckyinpa wrote:

my laptop is hooked up directly to the router and i see no lights on either end of the cable (archer c7 router) ac 1750

i have a cable going from the router to a switch and from that switch one cable goes to the mycloud and other cable goes to NAS

both lights on the switch are green

when i go to network settings and ethernet status on the laptop it says 1 gbps. if i disconnect , the wifi is less than 200 mbps

Ok.  Was the 100 mbps speed measured over wifi?

Can you try testing the speed with NasTester?    http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

Please test with the ethernet connected to the laptop.

Message 4 of 8
luckyinpa
Aspirant

i cannot test ready nas as i dont know the path. its not a letter and entering the IP doesnt work

when i said under 200 on wifi that means the wifi status under network status. task manager never gets above 100 on wifi nor ethernet

i just found on the readynas admin screen  under network it says eth0 bandwidth 100

under that is eth1 with 1gbps and its greyed out

Message 5 of 8
luckyinpa
Aspirant

Average (R):     11.56 MB/sec

i was able to run that test on mycloud

Average (W):     11.79 MB/sec

i dont know if this means anything or not but i have this

Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30

and under device manager properties advanced theres a setting speed and duplex and its set to auto negotiation. BUT the highest number on the  drop down menu is 100 mbps. however ive seen 500 in acronis with old backups. so something is amiss. its the latest driver too.

Message 6 of 8
luckyinpa
Aspirant

jackpot. i figured it out. the switch did indeed have green on the front but then i noticed amber on the NAS

i connected the router right to the NAS and i'm getting over 800 mbps!

it's a 10/100 switch i got free after rebate from newegg and now i know why 🙂

i thought cat 5e could do gigabit?. it was 6e running from router to switch then i had 5e to mycloud and readynas

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@luckyinpa wrote:

it's a 10/100 switch i got free after rebate from newegg and now i know why 🙂

i thought cat 5e could do gigabit?

Cat 5e can carry gigabit ethernet.  But a 10/100 switch can't, so all connections to that switch will negotiate fast ethernet (100 mbps).

Gigabit switches are inexpensive (5 port unmanaged switches have street prices < $25 USD) -  so if you need a switch you should just get a new one.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements