× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: esata Power

Karl-Heinz
Star

esata Power

Hello

I tried to attach a Harddisk by a eSataP cable but the Harddisk isn't waking up. seems that there isn't power.

The slot on the NAS seems a power eSata but i'm not 100% sure.

can you confirm that a Harddisk can be connected by a eSataP cable?

Would by very strange when for the the power there would be the need of a additional cable.

thanks

Karl

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Karl-Heinz,

eSATA enclosures or caddies can be connected to the ReadyNAS for backup purposes. In your case, you might need an extra cable for the external PSU to power it on. Please refer to this thread.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Karl-Heinz,

eSATA enclosures or caddies can be connected to the ReadyNAS for backup purposes. In your case, you might need an extra cable for the external PSU to power it on. Please refer to this thread.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The connector isn't eSATA-P.  So you do need a power brick for the disk.

Message 3 of 5
Karl-Heinz
Star

This should be changed for sure. A box which cost 600 EUR I think the price difference from a eSata to eSataP when it will build in can't be such high. The current is already there so only add one single pin.
All the hussle with extra caddy and cable could be easy avoided.

Now I have to look for a caddy and bought a useless esataP cable. I couldn't imagine that this isn't powered.

Hope that this will end on the desk of a technican as todo.

anyway thanks for the response.

Model: RN31441D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Karl-Heinz wrote:

This should be changed for sure.

Personally I think powered eSATA is quite rare.  For external drives, the industry has largely has shifted to USB 3.0 since the NAS was released.

However, it would make a lot of sense for you to post this suggestion in the "ideas for storage" section, to put it on Netgear's list.  Other forum members can also then vote for this feature.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements