× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: failure during copy ReadyNAS 2120 V2

PCMACMAN
Aspirant

failure during copy ReadyNAS 2120 V2

Help needed,

I'm trying to setup an Rsynch backup bewteen two negear NAS devices, my main ReadyNAS 2120 v2  is running firmaware 6.8.1 and the NAS I'm trying to backup to is a ReadyNAS 214 also running firmware vesrion 6.8.1.

I've gone through and created a backup scheduele but I keep getting the error Error backup job ....failure during copy. I've gone through the troubleshooting to find what that error means and all I get is check the logs on the destination NAS at time of error. There are no logs created at that time on the destination server. 

Thanks in advance

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Which NAS is the backup job running on?

Have you seen this guide?  https://kb.netgear.com/29741/How-do-I-back-up-data-between-two-ReadyNAS-OS-6-systems-using-the-backu...

Message 2 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

When you enable rsync on a share, the default access is read-only.  It sounds like you may be trying to do a push backup to a share that does not have rsync write enabled.  I believe that the connection check the NAS does when you set up a backup job only checks that it can get a connection, not that it can write to it.  If that's not it, check the credentials, though the connection test should verify that.

Message 3 of 15
PCMACMAN
Aspirant

yes I saw that guide and I followed it to the letter, I'm running the backup on my main NAS device.

Message 4 of 15
PCMACMAN
Aspirant

checked all the permissions andI had read/write on, also when I created the job I tested the connection and it sucessfully connected.

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@PCMACMAN wrote:

checked all the permissions andI had read/write on, also when I created the job I tested the connection and it sucessfully connected.

Test connection can be useful, but a successful connection doesn't mean the backup will run.

If you are using the hostname, did you try using the IP address?

Is it copying anything?  Can you post the settings (path, etc)?  Screenshots are a good way to do that.

Message 6 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Also, does the backup log on the source say it copied anyting, ot did it fail on the first file?  Can you post the full error message from the source log?

Message 7 of 15
PCMACMAN
Aspirant

here's a copy of the log on the source

Backup Job Name: Backup NAS1 to NAS 2
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: rsync
Backup Source: [volume:data]//
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/192.168.0.66::MasterBackup1
Backup Start Time: Tue Oct 24 2017 18:24:35
Backup Finish Time: Tue Oct 24 2017 18:24:45
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

Failed to run rsync, return rc 10
'rsync' command returns rc=10

sending incremental file list
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(785) [sender=3.1.1]

----------------------------------------
Backup Job Name: Backup NAS1 to NAS 2
Backup Job Type: Full
Protocol: rsync
Backup Source: [volume:data]/
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/192.168.0.66::MasterBackup1
Backup Start Time: Tue Oct 24 2017 18:20:44
Backup Finish Time: Tue Oct 24 2017 18:20:54
Backup Status: Fail: Failure during copy.

----------------------------------------

Message 8 of 15
PCMACMAN
Aspirant

here are some screenshots of the source settings 

Message 9 of 15
PCMACMAN
Aspirant

screenshot of source destination settings ( i had to send like this as the browser would not allow me to send three .jpg files)

Message 10 of 15
PCMACMAN
Aspirant

screenshot of destination network access settings

Message 11 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

You must be running some old firmware, as those settings pages for the backup don't look like mine.  I'm not sure that the version you have even allows for backup of the complete data volume.  Did you try leaving the path empty?  Or maybe a dot?

Message 12 of 15
PCMACMAN
Aspirant

RSYNC on the backup share is set to read/write for alla accounts.

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@PCMACMAN wrote:

RSYNC on the backup share is set to read/write for alla accounts.

You posted the SMB network permissions earlier in the thread - you need to select RSYNC at the top of the tab to see the rsync network permissions.  Rsync doesn't have per-account settings, the full share is either read-only, or read-write.  Also check the file permissions tab - normally they should be set to allow all accounts full access.

Message 14 of 15
PCMACMAN
Aspirant

Thank you I turned off SMB on the destination drive and changed RSYNC to read/write and boom the backup started and continued, I had to stop as I don't want it running during the middle of the day. Will let you know if it does what's it's meant to do on scheduele tonight.

cheers

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements