× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: fixup exception + 5 Readynas 516

pgjscottieuk
Guide

fixup exception + 5 Readynas 516

Can anyone help could not access my readynas 516 and there was the message fixup exeption + 5 on the front door screen

could not access the unit from a browser at all it would not power down on the fourth push of the on button so pushed

and held pushed unit shut down i then rebooted and all was back to normal i have looked everywhere to find out what the fixup

message means but could not find anything

One small pointer was towards permissions so i reset those any help clarifying this onscreen message wouild be appreciated

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

It often pays to be on the cautious side even with a back up 20TB is a lot of syncing

True - which is why I mentioned it.  Though the odds of something going wrong in a migration from RN516->RN526 are pretty small.

But if you have a spare disk handy, it doesn't take long to upgrade the firmware in the RN526 flash first.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 26

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @pgjscottieuk, this seems to be related to memory page faults and how the linux kernel is handling them. In a nutshell, try testing the RAM to see, whether it might be faulty hardwarewise.

Here is is a link to an article describing in detail how the linux kernel is dealing with page faults and involves fixup exceptions related to this. Once you opened the following link search for "fixup" on the webpage to see it in context.

Kind regards

https://www.halolinux.us/kernel-architecture/handling-of-page-faults.html

Message 2 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi thank you for reply i need to look into how i do that but since then i have had two more messages

After the first i could not shut down the nas it could not be accessed by browser or RaiDar would not shut down from 4 pushes of the on buttonhad to force shutdown by pressing on button and holding until nas shut down

could not access nas from WOL function had to press start button nas booted up as normal then after about 45mins it went offline again showing another fault on the door panel as follows, pgtable_bad + 35

Again could not access the nas anyway so had to force shut down holding the on button

Tried once more same thing after about 45 mins nas went off line displaying another message as follows

sched_rt_period_timer + 1FS

Perhaps all of these mean somthing to someone Nas is in warranty until 17 Feb 2020

Message 3 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @pgjscottieuk, the error "pgtable_bad + 35" also points into the direction of problems with memory to my understanding.

You could start a memory test from the boot menu. Please see info behind the link below. Kind regards

https://kb.netgear.com/23005/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-316-516-716

Message 4 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

Nas is in warranty until 17 Feb 2020

I agree it makes sense to do a memory test - though even if it passes you still might want to request an RMA (via my.netgear.com).

You could also try powering down, removing your disks, and doing a fresh install on a single scratch disk.  Set it up to match the services, etc you have on the normal system.  Then see if the errors continue.

Message 5 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi guys thank you for your input and help ran the memory test first time no errors but then the test took about as long as it had taken for the problem to arise before

Shut down did another memory test straight away and it hung at 99% and 37 errors 

Message 6 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi thank you for your input Stephen did a second memory test and it hung at 99% with 37 errors you mention an RMA as its still in warranty what is the procedure for this do i guess i remove all my drives ie the volume Netgear send my a replacement i then install the drives in the same order which will reinstate the volume and settings ?

Message 7 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi Roland did the memory test the second one came up with the errors 37 thank you for your help

Message 8 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

you mention an RMA as its still in warranty what is the procedure for this do i guess i remove all my drives ie the volume Netgear send my a replacement i then install the drives in the same order which will reinstate the volume and settings ?

Yes, that is the basic procedure - all settings are on the disks.  Netgear might want you to do some additional troubleshooting tests (not sure), but since the memory diagnostic fails it seems pretty clear-cut.

You will need to pay for shipping your NAS back to Netgear (Netgear will pay for shipping the replacement).  Netgear might also ask for a credit card number (though there will be no charge for an RMA).

Though my.netgear.com isn't as well organized as it might be, you will find a "replace my defective product" link in there.  If you have trouble finding it, try logging into my.netgear.com and then browse to https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/portal/myOnlineTicket.aspx

Message 9 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you for that will post how i get on 

Message 10 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi got in touch with Netgear they did some trouble shooting went into debug mode and some one did a teamvewer sesion in my absence he seemed to think all was ok but they seem to be avoiding the memory test errors  37 and the panel messages after he had logged off another messages appered on the nas door panel

_audit_free + 1b

Thought i would restart the nas through the homepage did so now thw nas is stuck saying Rebooting see you soon it has been like that for about an hour and is not accessable via a browser or RaiDar

Message 11 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Netgear have today finally issued the RMA for the replacement nas they are sending a 526x looking at the spec it doesn't seem to have the same cpu it would appear not to have the same performance as the 516 ?

Message 12 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @pgjscottieuk, it seems that Netgear is doing you some good. The 52x is one generation beyond 51x and the 526x is the successor of the 516 in your case. The older has an intel i3, while the newer has a Xeon D-1508 server processor. if the 526 truely will be the replacement, to my understading you will be very well compensated for the hassle you experienced with the 516 :-).

Kind regards

516 specs: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-storage/RN516.aspx#tab-techspecs

526x specs: https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/storage/ReadyNAS_RN524X_RN526X_RN528X_DS_09Dec16.pdf

Message 13 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thanks all for your input and help lets hope the install of the simple 1 volume 6 discs goes ok i did send a message asking if the new nas neede to be turned  on diskless first to update the firmware to 6.10.1 or whether that is actually already on my discs as a working system volume

Message 14 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

As I do neither have a 516 nor a 526 I cannot answer. @StephenB might have an idea on that.

Message 15 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

i did send a message asking if the new nas neede to be turned  on diskless first to update the firmware to 6.10.1 or whether that is actually already on my discs as a working system volume

If the firmware on the replacement NAS is older than what's on the disks, then the new NAS will update it's flash to the newer version on the disks.  If you want to avoid the possibility of something going wrong during that process, you can install a single scratch (spare) disk in the replacement first, and then manually update the firmware.   Note that turning on the NAS diskless won't accomplish anything.  When you are ready to migrate the disks, you do that with the NAS powered down - keeping the disks in their original slots if you can.

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

looking at the spec it doesn't seem to have the same cpu it would appear not to have the same performance as the 516 ?

The RN526x platform is three years newer than the RN516.

The RN526x has 10 gigabit ethernet (which is compatible with normal gigabit) - that will give you a performance boost if you get a switch with a 10GBaseT port.  It also has error-correcting memory (the RN516 doesn't).

The D1508 uses about half the power of the I3-3220.  The I3 might have an advantage with Plex Transcoding (not sure, I never had an RN516), but the D1508 can handle real-time 1080p transcoding.

Overall I'd be happy with the swap.  I wouldn't take an RN516 in exchange for my RN526x.

Message 16 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi i have a Netgear Prosafe switch so perhaps i will get better performance the plex thing my nas is just for movies and i do use plex but i also have a plex server on a custom HTPC to overcome hi def streaming 4K thanks once again for the input help it means when the unit arrives tomorrow i can go ahead with confidence 20TB of movies is a lot to loose i do have a backup but it would take some time for all that to sync plus having to start again with the Plex server on the nas with all its metadata etc

Message 17 of 26
Sandshark
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:
Note that turning on the NAS diskless won't accomplish anything.  When you are ready to migrate the disks, you do that with the NAS powered down - keeping the disks in their original slots if you can.

Are you sure?  I have now observed precisely that behavior twice, and I'm wondering if Netgear made a change regarding it.  If they did, it's yet another really bad idea, as folks may end up upgrading a NAS they are troubleshooting, adding another layer to the investigation.  Why would Netgear advise he do this if it were not the case?

Message 18 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi i find your input really confusing after netgear trouble shot the device overnight the unit came up with another door panel mesage _audit_free_1b so i decided to restart the nas to be clear of all messages a fresh start the the nas hung on rebooting see you soon and stayed like it all dayagain being inaccessable 

I think StephenB and the other chap were absolutley correct that the memory was failing

Perhapsyou could expand make clearer what you meant

Message 19 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

@StephenB wrote:
Note that turning on the NAS diskless won't accomplish anything.  

Are you sure?  I have now observed precisely that behavior twice, and I'm wondering if Netgear made a change regarding it.  If they did, it's yet another really bad idea, as folks may end up upgrading a NAS they are troubleshooting, adding another layer to the investigation.  Why would Netgear advise he do this if it were not the case?

I haven't tried it recently.  I agree it would be a bad idea if they did. 

You saw this on rack-mount systems, correct?

Message 20 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

Hi find your input really confusing ... 

Perhapsyou could expand make clearer what you meant

@Sandshark was following up on my statement that "turning on the NAS diskless won't accomplish anything".

He's seen two cases recently when (rackmount?) ReadyNAS did upgrade firmware when diskless.  That's worth following up on, but isn't relevant to your main issue (which was the memory failure).

Message 21 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you for clearing that up its not really part of this thread when i asked the question about turning on the nas diskless i already knew the system was stored on the drives i was just double checking in a vain hope it would make the swapping over process without pain !

Message 22 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

i was just double checking in a vain hope it would make the swapping over process without pain !

You should be able to directly migrate to the RN526x.  Doing the scratch disk install+upgrade first is just being cautious/conservative.  

Message 23 of 26
pgjscottieuk
Guide

It often pays to be on the cautious side even with a back up 20TB is a lot of syncing

Message 24 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

True - which is why I mentioned it.  Though the odds of something going wrong in a migration from RN516->RN526 are pretty small.

But if you have a spare disk handy, it doesn't take long to upgrade the firmware in the RN526 flash first.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements