× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

have i disabled raid properly

breweryman
Aspirant

have i disabled raid properly

Hi,

Through a stupid mistake while shelling to my Readynas Duo I accidentally mucked up all the file ownership on the drive. Now I cannot access it via frontview or ssh, however I can still see pages from a separate apache server I have on there, and certain SMB shares.

I would like to get the data off this drive.

I have taken out that drive and put in a spare one, then done a factory reset and auto upgrade.

Model: ReadyNAS Duo
Serial: 24M*****
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]
Memory: 256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
Volume C: Online, RAID Level 0 , Single disk, 0% of 921 GB used

I would like some reassurance that if I now put in my original disk, then I will be able to access the data from the OS installed on the new disk.
My concern is that Raid Level 0 may not be enough to stop the readynas automatically using the freshly inserted drive as a Raid mirror (overwriting all the data I want)

Can someone please tell me that all will be well and I will be able to mount the drive and access the old data.

Thanks

Andy
Message 1 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

Re: have i disabled raid properly

No.
Could you first clarify exactly what you have done?
Were you changing things in the OS using ssh without a backup?
Did you only have one drive in the nas?
You cannot ssh in the nas at all? What happens when you try?
...and Frontview, what happens when you try to access it?

If you put the drive into the nas with the other drive you will almost certainly create a bigger problem. If hot added you will lose everything on the drive.

You may be able to read the data on the disk using linux reader with the disk connected to a PC.

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Alternatively you could try using a linux machine to read the drive.

Perhaps give some more detail about your access problems.
Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

(a) if you simply insert your old drive into the NAS with the new drive in place, then the old drive will normally be wiped.
(b) If you power down the NAS, remove the new drive, and insert the old drive then it will attempt to boot off the new drive (which I guess you messed up).

You can use linux reader on a PC to recover files from disk 1. (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/). This requires connecting the drive to the PC and NOT formatting it.

If the original drive you have was disk 2 (the parity disk), then linux reader won't work. But I'm thinking you started with just one drive - correct?
Message 3 of 8
breweryman
Aspirant

Yes I just had 1 drive in originally. My mistake was that I was trying to bulk change access permissions within a folder and instead of ./* -r I typed /* -r That missing period was quite significant. I ended up messing up the permissions on all the system folders. At the time I could close and open SSH and frontview sessions just fine, but now after a reboot it is not liking it, possibly as the security rules require certain privileges on certain folders. That was my mistake, and now I am paying the price.

The nature of my fault as it stands is:
SSH fails as follows:
$ ssh root@192.168.1.64
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.64 port 22: Connection refused

while frontview fails as follows
request URL https://192.168.1.64/admin/
gives me
"Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

Looks like I'll be trying out the reading the disc off a PC option. (I'd tried with a virtual machine on my windows PC this morning but it didn't seem to detect the drive - so I clearly have a bit more digging to get that working - but that is outside the scope of this post)

Thanks for the clarificaton that I can't just pop the drive into my Readynas though.

Andy
Message 4 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

So the unit is working normally with the new disk?
Did you try an OS reinstall with the original disk? Power down, remove the current disk and insert the original disk. Access the boot menu and do an OS reinstall ( not a factory default)
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... 6%2F600%3F
Read the instructions carefully - I know you've done a factory default already so you know what not to do.

If the OS reinstall does not work:
I'm not certain about this but it's possible that a USB boot recovery may help this situation, although I think its only real application is where the OS on the flash is corrupt, which I don't think is the case with your system.
http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... ash_device
The 4.1.14 image is here:
http://www.readynas.com/download/suppor ... 4.1.14.img

Perhaps StephenB or mdgm may have something to say. The USB boot is a last resort intervention, so you want to be sure it's indicated.
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

USB Boot Recovery won't help with this as this problem is a permissions issue not an issue with the internal flash.
Message 6 of 8
breweryman
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Did you try an OS reinstall with the original disk?

I had considered this as a solution earlier on in the week, but I cannot be certain that this would not overwrite some of the data I want. I've managed to recover data from the shares, but I had also been developing some php scripts for my own apache server and these reside in /var/www
Seemingly I hadn't put these into any sort of a backup folder anywhere :oops: and they aren't accessible over SMB as that is only allowing access to the standard shares, hence my desire to read the data as a slave disc.
It certainly does look like there is no easy way to repair this install on the original disc, so I am happy to do a reinstall and wipe out everything one there once I have these few remaining files. (Thankfully I had been efficient and had set up some off site backup of everything in my user share folders so I do have 99% of my data safely stored away)

This definitely looks like I need to fire up a Linux install somewhere that I can connect this to.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, but I think I know the next steps and how to complete them. All I've got to do know is find a bit more spare time to implement this.

Cheers

Andy
Message 7 of 8
breweryman
Aspirant

Ooh, success.
I had read about, and installed a VM to read the disc from my windows PC (as windows doesn't recognise the file format)
After trying with my existing USB to SATA cable I had no success, but research told me it was due to it only supporting 2.5" discs through USB power, so I managed to borrow an externally powered one from a colleague at work.
On a whim I decided to skip the VM and plug the USB adaptor into my readynas.
Success. I now have the whole of the old drive readable by my newly configured readynas. Now I'll just set a backup job going to copy everything to a folder on the new drive for safekeeping.

Andy is a happy bunny once more.

Good night all 🙂
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements