× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how do I rsync a file from computer to NAS?

azraeluk
Aspirant

how do I rsync a file from computer to NAS?

Hi all,

I have some files on my desktop that I want to rsync to the NAS and I am not quite sure what I need to do.

I have a ReadyNAS 104 with os 6.0.6

I have the SSH and RSYNC services enabled.

Under Shares -> Videos -> settings -> access: I have rsync turned on.

Under accounts I have a username 'azrael' with password set.

When from my desktop I try to rsync a file I get an error:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]

What do I need to do to be able to rsync a file to my NAS?

many thanks in advance
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: how do I rsync a file from computer to NAS?

You also have rsync running on the PC?
Message 2 of 7
azraeluk
Aspirant

Well it is linux (or a Mac, depending on which I am using), and I have rsync available on it (them).

So from command line I want to do:

rsync --progress --bwlimit=2000000 -a -m -v -h -r --append-verify -O my-local-file.blah username@192.168.0.27:/data/Videos/

Is this related to enabling full SSH access to the readynas?
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

You shouldn't need to enable SSH (though that is not difficult with the RN104).

If you have rsync enabled on the RN104 destination share, then you should be able to simply use the rsync line on the PC. I don't think you want the /data in the path though.
Message 4 of 7
azraeluk
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
You shouldn't need to enable SSH (though that is not difficult with the RN104).

as a side question could you point me to info on that? I tried the arm download at http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203 but didn't like that.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Select system on the top tab, settings on the second row of tabs. You'll see an SSH box on the right under services. Just click on it to enable.

Like other ReadyNAS, the login is root, the initial password is the same as admin.
Message 6 of 7
azraeluk
Aspirant

I was just being dumb re the SSH. I was trying my non-root username and password and it wasn't working (shell being /bin/false), trying root with the password of my user account which didn't work (I had previously set admin password to the same as my user account). However as I have recently reset the OS I believe that means the admin password resets. I hadn't changed the admin password!! So I have successfully got in with default admin password *AND* have now changed the admin password like I should have earlier!

So now that I can ssh in I have edited the shell for my normal user to be /bin/bash (edited /etc/passwd) and I can now rsync in successfully with that user.

This leads me to believe that the shell of a user (and its ability to log in via ssh) affects whether or not the user can rsync properly.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements