× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: how long does it take to OS reinstall ?

grish4
Aspirant

how long does it take to OS reinstall ?

hello,

I began an OS reinstal 7 hours ago and the NAS still showing a "booting... updating FW" message. What's the next step ?

thank's for your help.

grish4

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Updated the firmware to 6.7.1 Beta 2 and was able to mount the data volume with the option to disable volume quotas fine.

Rebooted it to normal mode and it came up fine.

Oh and for good measure I updated the BIOS to the latest.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

An OS reinstall should take a couple of minutes at most.

Do you have a backup of your data?

Message 2 of 16
jak0lantash
Mentor

Can you explain why did you start an OS Reinstall? That's most likely important information to understand what's happening.

Message 3 of 16
grish4
Aspirant

Hi,

booting stop on 31%.

That's why I tried to reinstal the OS.

Can it be useful to tempt this two or three times ? there's nothing on it that I can't loss, but I wan't try all procedure existing before the factory reboot.

Is USB key restart the next candidate ? does that erase data ?

is it useful to try a boot with no disk ?

thanks

Message 4 of 16
jak0lantash
Mentor

USB Boot Recovery is to rewrite the flash, I doubt it would help in this case.

Booting without disk is pointless as the system and settings are on the disks.

31% seems early stage though. Anything happened before this condition?

Maybe you should contact NETGEAR Support... Especially if you don't want to take any risk with your data.

Message 5 of 16
grish4
Aspirant

ok.

I have saved the configuration but the system must be up to be restored.

with a lot of OS you can boot on an external device and access repair tools, i'm surprised it is not the same with the readynas OS. 

I try a disk test.  Disk are in raid 6 in flex mode.

does the disk test have a repair function ?

How is it possble to have 6 disk, six replication possibily of the OS and not one in goof shape ?

i snapshot the system, is there a way to come back to the previous image ?

I use two things : the amazon sync and the DLNA. I've only one gig of ram can this cause unstability ?

One thing : when cold, the start time between the push on the button and the moment when the fan begin to run at full speed is almost 5 min. If I do a reboot it's take no time at all.

Message 6 of 16
jak0lantash
Mentor

@grish4 wrote:

does the disk test have a repair function ?

How is it possble to have 6 disk, six replication possibily of the OS and not one in goof shape ? 

Disk test is only disk test. 

This is the perfect example of why RAID is not a backup. The OS is build on a RAID1 volume. You have six times the same "broken" OS. The RAID array does its job well, it's the OS stored on it that's broken.

I'd suggest contacting NETGEAR Support.

According to some other threads 6.7.0 has some issues with quotas that trigger OOM (see 6.7.1 beta thread). Are you in that situation?

Message 7 of 16
grish4
Aspirant

Thank's for your answer.

Okay for one system on a RAID 1,

-but snapshot thorically allow versionning. Why not have a way for booting on the last successfull boot configuration ?

- OS with one disk accept repair tools booting from a CD, (I'm so old that I did this kind of things with floppy ! 🙂 ) 

I'm on 6.6.1.

My conclusion is that repair are made by the team to minimze wrong actions. So I call the fireman and admitt I'm unable to solve my problem by myself.

Message 8 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Snapshots on the root volume is an interesting concept but not practical with a root volume that is 4GB in size. I don't think the time is right for this right now.

This would be quite a complex thing to implement right.

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Snapshots on the root volume is an interesting concept...

It might be simpler to create a second boot partition on the drives.  This could be treated as an "recovery boot" - perhaps only having the admin account, Putting some share-related configuration files into /apps might make this easier to do.  Given the size of modern drives, taking 4 more GB for this seems reasonable.

On the timing:  The existing OS reinstall clearly isn't enough, particularly when apps are installed.  Docker/container support might fix that, though a belt-and-suspenders approach might be indicated.  It is very frustrating to feel that your data is sitting there intact, if only you could get the system to boot.

Message 10 of 16
jak0lantash
Mentor

@grish4 wrote:

but snapshot thorically allow versionning. Why not have a way for booting on the last successfull boot configuration ?

Because ReadyNAS OS doesn't take snapshots of the OS volume... It would be neat if it took regular snapshots and allow to revert, but it doesn't.

Message 11 of 16
jak0lantash
Mentor

@StephenB wrote:

It might be simpler to create a second boot partition on the drives.  This could be treated as an "recovery boot" - perhaps only having the admin account, Putting some share-related configuration files into /apps might make this easier to do.  Given the size of modern drives, taking 4 more GB for this seems reasonable.

That I find very interesting. I was actually thinking of posting an idea about it. Adding a Boot Menu option to boot in a safe mode, something that would only try to start the RAID volume(s) and share the volume(s) on Samba, and/or allow dumping it on the first USB device connected if backup button is pressed.

This wouldn't be very difficult to implement, and very useful for everytime, from Support teams to the community and the users.

Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:
Adding a Boot Menu option to boot in a safe mode, something that would only try to start the RAID volume(s) and share the volume(s) on Samba, and/or allow dumping it on the first USB device connected if backup button is pressed.

We're on the same page.  I was also thinking that sharing the volumes only could be part of it.  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 16
grish4
Aspirant

"It is very frustrating to feel that your data is sitting there intact, if only you could get the system to boot."

That's the point.

I have 6x3 To raw for 10 To left in RAID six. I don't care to loose on each disk 4GB x 3 snapshot. I loose 8 To for safety, I can loose 96 Go more. Like for Big data, in case of corruption you compare the replication on each disk and choose the one that has two identical hash.

Perhaps an esaier path is to have a "create a boot disk " function : when everithings OK, you plug a USB Key, and it's write a bootable copy of the OS. 

Message 14 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Updated the firmware to 6.7.1 Beta 2 and was able to mount the data volume with the option to disable volume quotas fine.

Rebooted it to normal mode and it came up fine.

Oh and for good measure I updated the BIOS to the latest.

Message 15 of 16
grish4
Aspirant

thank's a lot for your help ! he now has 4 gig of ram and a Processeur CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 8Mo FSB 1066Mhz LGA775 SLACR is on his way.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements