× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iDrive workaround for backing up non-volume

Dewdman42
Virtuoso

iDrive workaround for backing up non-volume

I have decided to use iDrive to backup the important data on my readynas since crashplan is dropping home support.  So far so good, but a few questions here related to some limitations of iDrive and best way to work around it.

1. iDrive will only backup stuff that is contained in a shared volume.  It will not, for example, backup /etc/ or /data/.apps, etc...  Does anyone know of a work around to get stuff like that backed up or perhaps another solution I can use to backup the readynas system, and then just basically use iDrive to backup my main shared data volumes?
  2. Would readynas Vault be an acceptable solution to backup only my system info?  does it even do that?  I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it can backup non-shared dirs that are not under shared volumes, or whether it can be configured to selectively only backup a subset of data on the readynas.  iDrive is much more cost effective for all the big data, but as I said, it can't access anything that isn't on a shared volume.

I have been running it and it works, perhaps better then Crashplan actually, plus the 5TB plan is quite affordable and I can backup some other computers on the same plan.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP200U|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 2
Dewdman42
Virtuoso

Re: iDrive workaround for backing up non-shared volume (ie, /etc )

Well I did find out ReadyNasVault does NOT backup system dirs either...  it will only backup shared volumes..

How are people backing up their readynas system dirs such as /etc, /data/.apps and a few others?  

There is a way to do it with iDrive scripting, but all ownership info is lost, iDrive doesn't save that in the backup.  Sounds like I will need to tar something up nightly and then back up that tar file, but I would love some reccomendations from anyone else about this.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements