× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iMac Mavericks Connection to ReadyNAS 104 very slow

JimBimm
Aspirant

iMac Mavericks Connection to ReadyNAS 104 very slow

Hi folks,

when accessing the ReadyNAS 104 from my iMac it takes incredibly long until the content of the selected share shows up. When opening a folder it takes again some seconds until I can see the files in there. This can even take a minute or more! It correlates with the number of files in a folder. The more files there are, the longer it takes to show them.
Copying files looks like normal speed, just doing the inventory and displaying takes far too long...
I tried AFP and SMB and saw no difference. On a Windows PC it works as fast as it should be...

Do you have any hints for me?

Thanks
Matthias

Configuration:
- Apple iMac 27" late 212, 16GB, Mavericks
- Netgear ReadyNAS 104 running latest Firmware 6.1.5, no X-Raid but 2*2TB and 2*3TB each running RAID1
- Netgear ProSafe Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch GS116
Message 1 of 6
AndrewT1
Aspirant

Re: iMac Mavericks Connection to ReadyNAS 104 very slow

HI ..

Have you loaded the the latest software 6.1.6 ? did you perform a factory default after you loaded 6.1.5 ?

I'm running 6.1.6 with Mavericks which has greatly improved the performance..

ANdrew
Message 2 of 6
JimBimm
Aspirant

First of all thank you Andrew!

Sorry, the config data I posted is wrong: Yes I have 6.1.6 running since some weeks now...
But I did not perform a reset to factory defaults. This would erase everything?!? Is it that what you mean?
I would need to backup everything, rebuild the volumes and restore everything again. Right?
Is it really worth this effort?

Thanks
Matthias
Message 3 of 6
AndrewT1
Aspirant

Hi ..

Yes if you updated from 6.1.4 or below to 6.1.5 you need to do a factory default to fix a problem with file system ... Yep you will need to backup and restore all your data ...

Andrew
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

AndrewT wrote:
Hi ..

Yes if you updated from 6.1.4 or below to 6.1.5 you need to do a factory default to fix a problem with file system ... Yep you will need to backup and restore all your data ...

Andrew
Netgear recommends the factory default "for the best user experience" but is not insisting.

I haven't seen many posts from folks on how much the default helped. Probably the only way to tell is to try it.

How is the iMac connected to your network? WiFi, fast ethernet, or gigabit?
Message 5 of 6
bhelgeson
Aspirant

There is an issue with Mavericks and SMB2 to the SMB shares. Try using cifs:// instead of smb://. You can also switch to using smb1 as default by entering this in a terminal window.

echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf

Hope this helps.
Bill
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements