× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iPad iTunes and linking my music on my readynas 4 to my

matthewsjones
Aspirant

iPad iTunes and linking my music on my readynas 4 to my iPad

Please can someone help me as I have exhausted ways to try this and I now turn to this forums real expert help please.

on iPad I don't know how to get it to sync iTunes on iPad and iTunes account through to my music on my readynas.
Please can someone help walk me through step by step ways I can try.

Thank you so much.

I have iPad air
iTunes account
NETGEAR router and netgear readynas 4 all on same wifi and linked to iPad. On iPad I have rm remote and can pick up drives. So from here I can download music to listen to. But how do I do all this in iTunes and get the readynas to exist as a server or a backup source for All iTunes files etc both ways so downloads etc can sync.

Thank you so much guys.

Matt
Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The easiest way with iTunes to run iTunes on a PC or mac, keeping the iTunes database on the PC, but the media library on the NAS (for instance mapped network drives).

If you are ok with skipping iTunes, you can play the media using an app that supports DLNA or that can access the it over FTP, HTTP, or CIFS - giving up on the built in music and video player player.
Message 2 of 16
matthewsjones
Aspirant

Thank you so much Stephen. Do you know any suck app or way I can try this. Thank you. Matt
Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

8player and AVplayerHD are worth trying. AVplayerHD is oriented towards videos, not music. 8Player uses DLNA, AVplayerHD uses FTP (which needs to be enabled on your media shares).

ReadyDLNA is a free netgear app that you can try. I don't use it myself though.

I also suggest goodreader. It can pull files off your NAS (docs as well as media), and can either read them itself or you can launch them in another app.
Message 4 of 16
matthewsjones
Aspirant

Thank you so much. I'm trying as soon as I get home. Thank you so much.

Lastly. How don't use photos from my samsung wifi camera or from my iPad and get them to the right bit of the readynas drive / linked to readynas photos II

I'm sure there must be a way but I can't figure it out. Maybe I have to email them to the drive or something. Any thoughts please.
Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I don't take pictures on the iPad, so I never worried about that.

There's no way to email pictures to the NAS though. What camera model do you have?
Message 6 of 16
matthewsjones
Aspirant

I have a samsung st200f. It can do sky drive But I wish it could just go to nas. Thoughts?
Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I am not seeing anything in the camera manual that would do what you want.
Message 8 of 16
matthewsjones
Aspirant

It's a wifi camera so I can email or sync to skydrive which I think Microsoft own it. I was wondering if we could think of anyway that a skydrive account or an iPad photos account could link wifi with readynas photos II or direct to the media drive on the readynas 4.

What do you think
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Again, I looked at the manual for the camera. I didn't see any support for SMB or FTP. I suspect the facebook and photobucket features are tuned to those specific services (though I am not sure). I know of no add-on which lets your ultra connect with skydrive.

So I am not seeing any obvious way to get the camera to upload to the NAS directly. Maybe someone else might have an idea...
Message 10 of 16
matthewsjones
Aspirant

Thank you for your help anyway and I will look at other cameras and see if they can offer the FTP you refer to. The new samsung galaxy phone may be an option. Not cheap though.
Is there a type of wifi memory card that exists the nas talks to I heard something about a while ago?

Are you aware of a wifi based photo picture frame - so once all on nas I can link photo frame to that ?
Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

If you have an Android smartphone, you can certainly upload your photos to the NAS. ES File Explorer is one of several apps that you can use for that.

For picture frames, etc - what you are looking for are devices that can access via CIFS, NFS, or FTP. Those potentially can download or upload to the NAS.

DLNA devices can also potentially render/display but cannot upload.
Message 12 of 16
matthewsjones
Aspirant

Got it. Thank you so much

Matt
Message 13 of 16
aks
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I tried a few of the apps and found 8player pretty good for music and pictures on an iPad.
Message 14 of 16
DrJones
Aspirant

For files & photos, I find this one to be the best & fastest:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebro ... 38545?mt=8

I have also setup several of my clients to VPN to their windows servers & use that app to browse files on the network shares - works great.

For video, I'm soon going to be switching to Plex, but I've tried many different apps & still find this one to be the best:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aceplay ... 42636?mt=8
Message 15 of 16
DrJones
Aspirant

For files & photos, I find this one to be the best & fastest:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebro ... 38545?mt=8

I have also setup several of my clients to VPN to their windows servers & use that app to browse files on the network shares - works great.

For video, I'm soon going to be switching to Plex, but I've tried many different apps & still find this one to be the best:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aceplay ... 42636?mt=8
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements