× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iSCSI - Not Persistent after Firmware (6.6) Upgrade

kck126
Aspirant

iSCSI - Not Persistent after Firmware (6.6) Upgrade

NetGear Community, 

I recently upgraded the firmware on a ReadyNAS 4220 to 6.6 and have started experiencing iSCSI problems.  The iSCSI LUN on the ReadyNAS is no longer persistent after clients are restarted.

For the past 18 months, we have been running the ReadyNAS as an iSCSI target for two VMware ESXi hosts.  Both ESXi boxes connect to the same iSCSI target to access VMs.  The LUN is in VMFS5 and file locking and access is controlled by the hypervisor (e.g. only one host can access/inventory a virtual machine at a time).

With this setup we have gone through several extended power outages, maintenance windows, and general changes requiring the hosts and ReadyNAS to be shutdown/rebooted.  Each time we take an ESXi host down the VMs are powered off and the box is put into maintenance mode.  After the ESXi host is turned back on the iSCSI share on the ReadyNAS has always been restored and the VMs are available.

After upgrading firmware on the ReadyNAS the iSCSI target is no longer persistent when an ESXi host is restarted.   After the host is restarted the iSCSI connection is not restored (which always worked in the before the ReadyNAS firmware upgrade).  I have confirmed that I can ping the ReadyNAS (ping & vmkping) after a restart, but the iSCSI port (3260) is not open on the ReadyNAS interface that is dedicated for iSCSI to that host. 

I only able to manually restore the iSCSI connection after going into the ReadyNAS GUI and performing the following:

Clicking iSCSI – Properties (for the LUN) – and clicking Apply

Please note:  I do not make any changes to the ReadyNAS iSCSI/LUN properties.  I simply navigate to the page and hit apply which then results in port 3260 opening on the dedicated interface.  After clicking apply (once again with no changes), port 3260 becomes active (nc –z x.x.x.x 3260) and I can mount the iSCSI target on the ESXi host.  I have been able to replicate this result dozens of times using multiple ESXi hosts.

I have spent the past several days troubleshooting and can consistently replicate the problem.  I have also taken the time to backup the ReadyNAS and perform a factory reset.  After the volume was rebuilt and the iSCSI target was recreated, the problem is still consistent.  Nothing on the ESXi hosts and network have changed.  This problem started when I was running end of year maintenance and upgraded the ReadyNAS firmware.  I am now running version 6.6.1 which I manually updated from 6.6 hoping it would provide a solution.

I have done thorough troubleshooting and what I have been able to determine is that when an ESXi host with a iSCSI connection to the ReadyNAS is restarted (no running vms, in maintenance mode, etc.) the ReadyNAS no longer listens to port 3260 on the assigned interface until I manually enter the GUI and “Apply” the iSCSI LUN settings even though no changes are made.  That “Apply” opens the port back up and allows a manual connection from the ESXi host.    

I am more than willing to provide more details with my configuration and any logs to help find a solution or better understand the problem. 

I greatly appreciate any help you are able to provide.  Thank you,

Kevin

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a static I.P. set on the NAS? There is a known issue that we've identified that should be addressed in the next firmware release after 6.6.1.

Message 2 of 8
booboo59
Apprentice

Is the known issue with Static IP addressing and iSCSI, or a general issue?  If it's general then I won't upgrade to 6.6.1

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's specific to iSCSI and static I.P. and 6.6.0 is also affected.

Message 4 of 8
kck126
Aspirant

The network adapters do have static ipv4 addresses assigned.  We use a separate subnet for the 10 Gbe connections for iSCSI connections.

Message 5 of 8
kck126
Aspirant

I did not come across any documentation regarding a known issue with 6.6.x and this problem.  However, I would feel better knowing this issue is not specific to our environment/setup.  It's my understanding that ReadyNAS OS 6.6 was released in late September.  If it has been a known issue for several months without a resolution then I do have some concern.

Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This issue was raised with engineering last month. Considering the Christmas break I think this has been dealt with very promptly.The fix has been prepared for the next release. I don't have an ETA on that.

Message 7 of 8
kck126
Aspirant

Excellant!  We will wait for the update and know how to manually resolve the problem for now as needed.  I will test the update thoroughly if support would like feedback.  Thank you,

Kevin

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements