× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iScsi connections from ESXi hosts fail, then cannot reconnect.

Kev-H
Aspirant

iScsi connections from ESXi hosts fail, then cannot reconnect.

ReadyNAS 31400 running Firmware 6.6.1 (latest). This firmware has been running for a while without problems.

Xraid configuration 2x 4Tb disks and 2x 3Tb disks.

Two Vmware Esxi 5.1 hosts access the 31400 using iScsi. Two LUNs are defined.

Both LUNs are Thin provisioned. Smart snapshots enabled, daily. Sync writes allowed.

Total Space 9.08Tb. Free space 5.65Tb.

Bonded ethernet connection to a Netgear GS724v3. 

No applications installed.

Antivirus off.

This configuration has been running for a very long time, without issues.

Overnight on the 13th Mar, both Esxi hosts had lost connection to the iScsi LUNs. Attempted to force a reconnect by instructing the Esxi hosts to 'rescan for new devices and volumes'. No change, they still could not connect

During this time both Esxi hosts remained connected to iScsi LUNs on another ReadyNAS device (RN 102). 

I rebooted the 31400, and without intervention the Esxi hosts reconnected to the iScsi LUNs. 

All good. Except that the same issue re-occurred again the following night (14th Mar). I performed some more diagnosis.

Using SSH on the Esxi hosts I was able to ping the RN31400.

I was able to use vmkping to ping the RN31400 (pings from the VM Kernel device).

Using SSH on the RN31400 I was able to ping the Esxi hosts.

On the Esxi hosts I was able to connect to the iScsi port on the RN31400 using "nc -z target_ip 3260"

So, apparently no network connectivity issue. It seems that the RN31400 is not able to negotiate the iScsi connection, or maybe the login. Possibly the iScsi service has crashed. I do not know how to diagnose this.

Again, I reboot the RN31400 and the Esxi hosts connect. 

I have downloaded logs from the time that the Esxi hosts are unable to connect. I have also downloaded logs after the reboot with the Esxi hosts connected and the system working properly.

No changes to the RN31400 or to the Esxi hosts have been made recently.

I have seen that some people have had iScsi reconnect problems, but no definitive answer has yet been offered.

Hoping that someone might be able to check the logs and maybe offer a workaround or diagnose the fault.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: iScsi connections from ESXi hosts fail, then cannot reconnect.

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please see Skywalker's post

Message 2 of 3
Kev-H
Aspirant

Thank You.

I have conducted a test after reconfiguring the RN 31400 interfaces to use DHCP. Then to force a disconnect I rebooted the switch to which the Esxi Hosts and Netgear ReadyNAS are connected.

The Esxi hosts disconnected and then reconnected without problems.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements