× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: is it possible to migrate entire disk array from RN104 to RN204?

Jeff_D
Aspirant

is it possible to migrate entire disk array from RN104 to RN204?

I have had a RN104 for a few months and it is loaded with 4 hard disk drives (HDD) in a RAID5 array containing about 10.5 TB of data. The unit is setup with current FW (6.4.2).

I just bought a RN204 and set it up with some spare disks to RAID1 and fw 6.4.2 If needed I could alter the 204 to a RAID5 prior to any proposed migration and also make sure both units are using the same type of formats and volume config.

Can I pop the 4 HDD into the 204 and do some form of a in-place/data-safe migration of my array?  (I know for a fact that a competitor allows such and it worked for me with other drives and other data.)

THanks,

Jeff

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless),RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Best to have both units on the same firmware version (which you currently have).

You should confirm that there are no bad disks and that the volume is redundant.

Power down and remove the disks from each unit (label order).

Put the disks from the 104 in the 204 (same order as before) and power on. It should come up fine.

Of course it is advisable where possible to update your backup before attempting such a migration. Handling disks bare there is the chance you may damage them (e.g. through Electro Static Discharge) without even realising it. No important data should be stored on just the one device.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Best to have both units on the same firmware version (which you currently have).

You should confirm that there are no bad disks and that the volume is redundant.

Power down and remove the disks from each unit (label order).

Put the disks from the 104 in the 204 (same order as before) and power on. It should come up fine.

Of course it is advisable where possible to update your backup before attempting such a migration. Handling disks bare there is the chance you may damage them (e.g. through Electro Static Discharge) without even realising it. No important data should be stored on just the one device.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements