× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: issues with my NAS

nels538
Aspirant

issues with my NAS

Dear users,

I am in desperate need of some advise.

My Netgear RN3138 with readyNAS is i think in a bootloop.

i do not know what the led patterns mean.

Disk 1 = Off
Disk 2 = Green / Red

Disk 3 = Green

Disk 4 = Red

I tried to do a OS reinstall but the reset button doesnt do anything.

I have 4 WD enterprise 4 TB disks in it.

And it goes from 100% fanspeed to 0% fanspeed. then again to 100% and to 0%. continuously.

network connection is not possible. The lights above the disks stays off.

Does anybody know what this kind of behavior means?

Im sorry if im in the wrong section

photo:
https://gyazo.com/57afe1c25ac70975cccfde2d4eb6ce2a

3e41905e-06b2-4fe4-9b67-7591f3408df0.jpg

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@nels538 wrote:

it just keeps giving me these LED's immediately when i poweron the machine.

Even with no disks?

@nels538 wrote:

Will it work if i put the drives in another RN3138?

If the RN3138 chassis has failed, then the disks might work in another RN3138 (or any other OS 6 ReadyNAS chassis with enough bays).  The OS and settings are all on the disks.

I say "might" because whatever caused the failure might also have corrupted the disks.

RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS (ReclaiMe for example) might also be able to off-load data, though that you'd need to be able to connect all the disks to a Windows PC.

If you are looking for a used RN3138 you need to be careful - some of those units had defective CPUs.  There's a service action here that gives you some information on what serial numbers were affected: https://kb.netgear.com/000037344/Service-Note-for-RN3130-RN3138-WC7500-and-WC7600v2

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@nels538 wrote:

i do not know what the led patterns mean.

Disk 1 = Off
Disk 2 = Green / Red

Disk 3 = Green

Disk 4 = Red

See pages 41-42 here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RN2120/ReadyNAS_OS6_Rackmount_HWM_EN.pdf

@nels538 wrote:

My Netgear RN3138 with readyNAS is i think in a bootloop.

And it goes from 100% fanspeed to 0% fanspeed. then again to 100% and to 0%. continuously.

network connection is not possible. The lights above the disks stays off.

Have you tried installing RAIDar on a PC, and looking at its status? https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 15
nels538
Aspirant

The NAS is not reachable via network.it seems that it is not booting at all or is stuck on a boot loop.

Turning it off and on again does not work even with powercord detached.

please see added picture. i cant figure out what these LED's mean. If it is trying to tell me a error code or something.

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Try

1. removing power
  2. remove the disks (labeling by slot),
  3. and then power on the NAS.

See if RAIDar then reports a "no disks status".

If you can connect the disks to a Windows PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock), you can also test them WD's digital dashboard software (or perhaps the older Lifeguard).

Message 4 of 15
nels538
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer, but i tried that and it doesn't work. The machine wont even boot far enough to post. it just keeps giving me these LED's immediately when i poweron the machine. And the reset button also does not work. i pushed the reset button for 1+ minute without the disks inserted, and it wont even flinch.

If not i think I am afraid that i have to accept the fact that i lost 6TB of data.

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@nels538 wrote:

it just keeps giving me these LED's immediately when i poweron the machine.

Even with no disks?

@nels538 wrote:

If the RN3138 chassis has failed, then the disks might work in another RN3138 (or any other OS 6 ReadyNAS chassis with enough bays).  The OS and settings are all on the disks.

I say "might" because whatever caused the failure might also have corrupted the disks.

RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS (ReclaiMe for example) might also be able to off-load data, though that you'd need to be able to connect all the disks to a Windows PC.

If you are looking for a used RN3138 you need to be careful - some of those units had defective CPUs.  There's a service action here that gives you some information on what serial numbers were affected: https://kb.netgear.com/000037344/Service-Note-for-RN3130-RN3138-WC7500-and-WC7600v2

Message 6 of 15
nels538
Aspirant

Ah correction, the LED's are not ON offcourse when the disks are not inserted. But the machine is behaving the same. Reset button does not do anything unfortunately.

I have to wait for the opportunity to get a second chassis.

Thank you for your replies!

Message 7 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@nels538 wrote:

But the machine is behaving the same. Reset button does not do anything unfortunately.

The reset likely won't do anything with no disks inserted.  But try this again, and see if RAIDar finds the NAS when it is powered with no disks.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 8 of 15
nels538
Aspirant

The RAIDar software does not find anything because the machine does not give an ethernet output anymore. There is no link with the router.

The machine is ON, but i have no network activity/connectivity. network status LED's stays off.

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  

Just wondering - does the NAS serial number fall into the range of the service action?

Message 10 of 15
nels538
Aspirant

yes sir, my serialnumber starts with 4HM1*********

Message 11 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

If you are still under warranty, then you definately need to contact Netgear about a replacement.  If you are not, I don't know what action Netgear is taking for units that may have the CPU issue but were not replaced when the notice came out, but contacting them should let you know.

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

If you are still under warranty, then you definately need to contact Netgear about a replacement.  If you are not, I don't know what action Netgear is taking for units that may have the CPU issue but were not replaced when the notice came out, but contacting them should let you know.

The warranty is 5 years.  It only applies to units purchased new (not transferrable). 

Message 13 of 15
nels538
Aspirant

Thank you for taking your time to reply.
Message 14 of 15
nels538
Aspirant

Hey, I would like to reply to you with good news!

I switched the the exact same chassis and everything was there where it belonged!

It was literally swapping the hard drives into the working chassis. And it works like a charm

Like nothing happened!

Thank you again for giving me the hope I needed to give this a try!

Kind regards
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements