× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: itunes server

pdasterly
Guide

itunes server

whats most efficient way to run itunes server, i tried creating an itunes share and copy music over to share but itunes been running for 6 weeks adding songs(slow)

i have 2tb of music

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

If you want home sharing (and likely you do, since it is needed for Apple TV and iOS), then you'll have to run iTunes on a PC.

The music needs to be on the NAS, but the iTunes library can be on the PC.  It'll run fastest over a wired network. 

Alternatively, use the built-in itunes server on the NAS, and then access it's library from the PC iTunes.

There are other options - you could forget about iTunes, and use ReadyDLNA or Plex instead. 

Message 2 of 14
pdasterly
Guide

its just too slow, i used the readnas KB on itunes, when i add folder to itunes its been running for 6 weeks

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

1. What firmware is running on the ReadyNAS?
  2. Is this on a mac or a windows PC?
  3. Is the PC using wifi or ethernet?  What speed is the connection?
  4. There's more than one kb article on iTunes - can you provide a link to the one you used?

Message 4 of 14
pdasterly
Guide

1. Version 6.9.3

2 & 3. Pc, hardwired to gigabit netgear switch

4. https://kb.netgear.com/25402/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Using-the-ReadyNAS-and-iTunes-Service-on-Windows

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  That kb article tells you how to set up the internal itunes server.  That will scan your library, and create an itunes library (metadata) on the NAS.  Then you can access that iTunes library from a different iTunes instance running on your PC.

So one question is whether you actually want to do that.    If you are only accessing iTunes from that one PC, then you could try setting it up a different and simpler way.  All you really need to do is add the media from the NAS directly into the PC copy of iTunes - making sure the iTunes setting for "copy files to iTune Media Folder when adding to library" isn't set.  Then you can simply turn off the iTunes server on the NAS altogether.

That does beg the question on why it is so slow though.  Do you have any idea on how far it's gotten/how many songs it has left to process?

Message 6 of 14
pdasterly
Guide

unknown status, process of adding has been running over 6 weeks

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I think you should be able to access the current library from your PC, and that should tell you how many songs are in it.

Message 8 of 14
pdasterly
Guide

approx 350,000

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@pdasterly wrote:

approx 350,000

Ok.  Perhaps look at it again tomorrow at about the same time, and that will give you some idea how fast it is progressing.

One possibility is that something caused the iTunes scanner to crash - if that happened, you won't see any progress when you look next time.

Do you have any idea how many music files you have all together?

Message 10 of 14
pdasterly
Guide

i just guestimated, 1.4tb is used

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@pdasterly wrote:

i just guestimated, 1.4tb is used

Maybe giving longer answers will help me understand what you are trying to say.

You should be able to access the iTunes library via your PC copy of itunes, and select "songs".  Then iTunes will tell you how many songs are in the library.

Do that again after waiting some hours, and you will be able to see whether the iTunes server is "stuck", and you'll also be able to gauge how quickly it is adding songs.

Message 12 of 14
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

Re-connect to NAS on itunes, try again?

I have a NAS with about 20,000 songs, I've loaded for a long time and haven't all been added to complete. After I re-connect,  all of them adds up to itunes.

Message 13 of 14
pdasterly
Guide

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements