× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

linux client - shell hangs when operating in the root of a share with snapshots=allow snapshot acces

TullyNYGuy
Tutor

linux client - shell hangs when operating in the root of a share with snapshots=allow snapshot acces

I am testing an RN204 using OS 6.4.2. 

I have a share that has snapshots enabled. I have set "allow snapshot access" on the share. The share is mounted using nfs on a linux client. If I do anything in the root of the share from the linux client, the shell hangs. For example:

share = TestSnap

from a shell (terminal) on the linux client

cd TestSnap

ls -al =hangs the shell!

Many other operations in the root will hang the shell also. Such operations include cp, mv etc. 

If I operate in a subdirectory of the share there is no problem:

cd TestSnap/TestDir

ls -al =works

I have confirmed that the presence of the snapshots and "allow snapshot access" is the culprit here. If there are no snapshots, or if snapshots are hidden, this problem does not exist. This problem occurs using either nfs3 or nfs4.

Just thought I would document this issue in case others run into it. 

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 8
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: linux client - shell hangs when operating in the root of a share with snapshots=allow snapsho...

Hi TullyNYGuy,

Does this happen you will access it via SMB or Windows File Explorer?

I may also need to replicate and check this with my colleagues. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: linux client - shell hangs when operating in the root of a share with snapshots=allow snapshot a

Hi TullyNYGuy,

I reproduced the issue on my machine on F/W 6.5.0 RC1.

## Created a share on the NAS
## Allowed NFS

## Mounted the share on a Linux machine
# mount <ip>:/<volume>/<share> /mnt

## Listing the content of the mount point works ok and prompt is released
# ls -alh /mnt
[bla bla bla]
#

## Took a snapshot (not sure if necessary)
## Allowed snapshot access on the share using the GUI

# Listing the same mount point hangs and the prompt is NOT released
# ls -alh /mnt
[... hangs ...]

So this is a BUG, and not corrected in 6.5.0

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: linux client - shell hangs when operating in the root of a share with snapshots=allow snapshot a

Did you contact NETGEAR support about this?

Message 4 of 8
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Hi TullyNYGuy and Jak0lantash,

I verified the issue, I'll create the bug in engineering.

Thank you for finding this.

AlexPe

Message 5 of 8
TullyNYGuy
Tutor

Sorry for the lack of response. I was on vacation. 

Yes support has been contacted. They also verified it is a bug and have said it should be fixed at some point. 

Message 6 of 8
AlexPe
NETGEAR Expert

Hi TullyNYGuy ,

Yes we are working on it. 

We have an idea of what is happening so its about getting it resolved now.

Thanks again,

AlexPe

Message 7 of 8
TullyNYGuy
Tutor

AlexPe,

We have since purchased an RN516. This problem is becoming a major pain point for us. 

On one hand - We really want snapshot access to allow uses to roll back their own files. 

On the other hand - Linux users who forget and cd or ls into the root of a share with snapshot access allowed are hanging their shells. Even tab completion for filenames hangs the shell if used when hitting tab in a path that is completed to the point of the root of the share. I have a couple of pretty annoyed users right now. 

Are there any workarounds? Is there an imminent fix?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements