× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

login problem with NV+

guthrie
Aspirant

login problem with NV+

I recently inherited an NV+, and it is pretty neat!

I set it up, and was using it fine, from several machines, it showed up in network, and both shares were directly accessible. Then something broke, and I cannot access the shares anymore. I think it may have been from my firmware upgrade (RAIDiator 4.1.7), but am not sure.

Symptoms:
From Windows-7, can see the two shares on the network, but cannot access either.
One gives immediate permission denied, the other asks for a windows login, and then fails. I have tried every possible login style I can think of, all fail. (machine\user, user@machine, machine\share, ...).

I can login using the web admin interface "Radiator - frontview", and the unit is always found by RAIDar. Ftp works fine, but is anonymous. I am using "share" security mode, no password, and only have two shares (media, backup), and no password on either.

The admin password works fine to login to the admin interface, but I can't use it for accessing the shares. Web interface for shares shows both shares, but trying to access either gives "You don't have permission to access /share on this server".

Must be simple, but I am not sure what to do. I get the exact same results from all 3 local W7 machines.

I have no users but admin, and the user manual says:
"In Share security mode, you need to specify only the user name and password—if you have set up
a password for your share. If you have not set up a user name, enter the share name in place of the
user name."

What user name and password - I have no users, only admin - and it can't login this way.
Does the workgroup name matter?

Setup: Security mode = Share
CIFS: default Access = Read/Write,
then share access: Hosts allowed= myPCname,...
(same for HTTP/S).
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: login problem with NV+

Please take a look at http://sphardy.com/web/usermode

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 5
guthrie
Aspirant

Thanks, especially for the quick reply(!) - I will try this.

Does this mean that I was unknowingly already in "user" security mode, since it was working fine under W7 already - and somehow (accidentally) reverted to "share" mode, which now fails?
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't know what you did or what happened with your system. Regardless, I would suggest you migrate to user mode.
Message 4 of 5
guthrie
Aspirant

I wanted to re-open this query - since it was not resolved.
Sorry for such a detailed account below, but I don't know what to make of all the various symptoms.

Basically, I was first using Share mode on NV+, and all worked fine, then something broke, and I cannot get to them.

I get an odd set of results from three seemingly identical local Windows-7 machines.

Previously under Share mode, all could see two shares and access them. Anonymous FTP worked.

From a previous reply, after some later login problems, I read a note that Share mode doesn't work under W7 (although it initially had been) - so I tried converting to User mode, and created two users.

Now FrontView (still) works fine from anywhere, logged in as admin. Shares access (browser) fails form everywhere, "no shares". FTP to the NAS (as admin) both shares and accesses everything fine, and shows the files and directories owned by (admin,nogroup), mode 777, and UID 16384. This agrees with FrontView. This means that anyone should be able to access anything.cd ..

Now; on one machine ("A") I can use explorer, login as admin, and see not only all three shares (admin, and my two), but the entire file system. But I can only access the admin share, trying to access the others asks for a login, and then reports "permission denied", even with the admin login. The browser /../shares shows "no shares currently available".

On machine "B" browser fails, and explorer access fails. Explorer shows the shares, and prompts for a login, but the login fails, for any user (admin,user1,user2).

On machine "C", I can see both shares, and a home directory for one of the new users, and can login and see that directory, but not either of the shares. Trying to access either share gives "login fails" messages. Browser access requires a login, and none of the users (or admin) can login.

All shares are setup for default access = read/write, and the list of permitted hosts includes all local machines.

So; I get a confusing set of different partial access capabilities from three local W7 machines, and none of them work "correctly". Currently only FTP access seems to work, even though I have checked the share permissions many... times, and it should be full access for all users, to all shares, for both CIFS and Web and FTP.

I've seen many complaints on similar login issues, one described that one had to change Windows LAN security mode to use NTLMv2 mode - which the semi-successful machine doesn't. (I tried this on the other tow machines, no effect.)

I was thrilled when the first setup was easy plug-and-play, but have spent hours now reading notes and various proposed fixes, fiddling with the system, and little success!

I was going to login to Solaris and look around, but the FTP client seems to only allow some special maintenance login - unless one sets Root access, which seems to be dangerous to any possible technical support. Is there a way for a user to login via telnet/ssh?

Any hints appreciated! 🙂
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements