× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: looking for a logfile for Tivo support on ReadyDLNA

hershey4
Aspirant

looking for a logfile for Tivo support on ReadyDLNA

I have a Netgear WNDR3800 with Tivo Support Media Server enabled. I am having trouble on playback of a show. I know I've run into a log file in the past, but can't remember where or how I got to it.

I access the network drive by \\readyshare\USB_Storage in explorer or browser. I'm poking around the router settings and I found the admin log in http://192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm under Administration->Logs but its not very interesting. I recall once seeing a much more verbose log that was more media related.

Does someone know of this log?

The specific viewing problem is that the Tivo show on the network drive seems empty-ish. Duration is 0, but size is 5.6GB.

The steps taken:
1. record Tivo show (HD).
2. On PC, use TIvo Desktop to pull it to My Tivo Recordings.
3. On PC, copy show from My Tivo Recordings to \\readyshare\UBS_Storage\Tivo.
4. On Tivo, attempt to watch (transfer) from ReadyDLNA\WNDR3800. Get Error (long and not very pertinent. Some generic catch-all baloney about could be this or that or that. Can't get the error again. Now it just says immediately "Do you want to Keep or Delete".

On the PC, I can watch it just fine using Windows Media Player. On the Tivo I can watch it fine via the PC connection. But the whole idea of the network drive is so don't have to have PC in the mix for viewing.

The USB drive has tons of other Tivo shows on it that are just fine. They are primarily from my old Tivo Series 2 (standard def). My current Tivo Premiere 4 (HD) has had trouble storing Tivo shows on this drive since I got this setup last year. Its been very frustrating. It's usually been scanning problems or pixelation problems, but now this one. I don't know if its SD/HD related or not. Just throwing that out. Lots of different things in the mix.

Any idea what is the weak link in my setup?
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are running ReadyDLNA on a NETGEAR router? You should ask about that at http://forum1.netgear.com
Message 2 of 4
hershey4
Aspirant

Ok I did, but nothing going on there.

I thought that the router is like a readyNAS device when USB storage attached. I recall being referred to this forum on previous wndr3800/Tivo/ReadyDLNA issues in the past. Although I think I never got a response on that either so who knows...

It's a real shame all this technology doesn't work the way it is supposed to and no vendor support. I suspect this syndrome is only going to get worse as time goes on. What a waste of time and money. I won't be quick to buy Netgear again.

Anyhow I found the logfile myself. It is in //readyshare/USB_storage\.ReadyDLNA

I also did more testing with Tivo files and things got worse quickly. The logfile quickly pointed to the offending file, but no clue as to what specificaly went wrong. There is a crash dump file left behind but that's pretty useless to me. Too bad.

Now to look for other media server solutions.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

A router is not a ReadyNAS device - you need to post this in forum1.netgear.com (despite what you were told).
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements