× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

mirroring on ReadyNAS

fourchu
Aspirant

mirroring on ReadyNAS

hi there,

and i thought it just wouldn't be a problem...

we have readynas duo:

Hostname: srv-nas 
Model: ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.1.6 [1.00a043]
Memory: 256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]

we have some file on a PC on our domain and we want to backup such files. if possible Preserving file timestamps and NTFS permissions if possible.

we used robocopy to do just that.

we found nowhere on the https admin frontend where to specifiy "hey this user of my domain will be using that share"
only some sort of local username so to speak (as it appears on most linux boxes)

we managed to create a user (backupuser), create a share, set this user as the owner of the share,
access the share using this user credentials in the File Explorer

so far so good.

we made a very basic robocopy script to mirror the local directory on that share :

NET USE \\srv-nas\backup Thisisit0! /USER:backupuser /PERSISTENT:No
robocopy "D:\test" "\\srv-nas\backup\test" /ETA /Z /E /PURGE /R:5 /COPY:DAT
NET USE \\srv-nas\backup /DELETE /Y

robocopy does copy the files
but if you start the script again...
==> it ignores the fact that most files have not changed and simply copies everything all over again

we know the robocopy script work because if we use a share on a server of our domain it just works as expected (replaying the script does not copy unmodified files)

we have configured readynas so that it syncs time on the same ntp server as the local PC

what's wrong here ? how can i have robocopy skipping the unmodified files ?
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: mirroring on ReadyNAS

Well for starters you are using a NAS targeted at the entry-level home user. It doesn't have AD (Active Directory i.e. Windows Domain) integration as a feature. If you want AD integration you should look at the Pro Series (Pro 2/4/6).

Secondly please don't post your serial number on the forum. Posting a tech support case number in the thread title (i.e. title of the first post of the thread) is what's recommended.

Thirdly, RAIDiator 4.1.7 is available, which is newer firmware than 4.1.6.

What OS are you running on your server?
Message 2 of 7
fourchu
Aspirant

thanks for the feedback

sorry for posting the serial number. it is fixed now

The disk drive we are trying to mirror here is located on a Win XP 64bits plateform.

about the
If you want AD integration you should look at the Pro Series (Pro 2/4/6).

how could i possibly know i would need that feature ? ==> internal IT team selected and ordered the product 😞
it's just that i have been left by myself to get it to work. there is no resource available to get the device do the job, but i'm still liable in case of failure. go figure 😞

I just want to mirror the content of a drive of a windows XP 64bits on our domain on this NAS device. It's just that i would rather avoid copying files that have simply not changed (about 95% of the content btw)

I tried cobian backup instead to no avail, same problem.
I tried my good old friend rsync from cygwin but encounter another issue (not related)

maybe i should be thinking outside the box and just forget about mirring?

do i have other options left ? or i should just send back this NAS device and have the team purchase a model that supports AD ?

any idea is appreciated here

thanks
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Personally I would point out to your IT Team that the device does not support AD, is not and has never been targeted at the enterprise user and that it should be returned and you should purchase a business model e.g. the Pro 2. The Pro 2 is a x86 ReadyNAS (has Intel CPU). It has newer versions of some packages (e.g. samba) and is a much more future proof device than a Sparc ReadyNAS (e.g. Duo).
Message 4 of 7
fourchu
Aspirant

i wont comment here on the provision process of our IT service 🙂

but i wonder how on earth they didn't see the ReadyNASDuo-is-not-compatible-with-AD thing.

anyway your input has helped me pin point what was wrong here.

Just for the record, what is the price tag difference approximately? (pro = 2x duo or something)

it turns out i think i found the origin of the problem i was having with my rsync client (stupid antivirus detected a rootkit, yet another false positive... it is off topic). if i get the rsync client to work, i may not have to send the NAS back after all and happily stick with my cheap low end NAS. we'll see
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think the Pro 2 is 2-3x the price of the Duo assuming you get the diskless model. Price varies from reseller to reseller.

The Pro 2 is definitely worth the extra in my opinion.

If you can get a solution your happy with to work with the Duo then you may wish to keep it though.
Message 6 of 7
fourchu
Aspirant

i finally found a minute to get that mirroring process to work. rsync got the job done nicely
i should have followed my intuition with rsync straight from start :oops:

the rsync double semi colon (::) was a bit tricky as i had never used rsync without ssh in the past

thanks for the info about the price range. given the context of IT budget right now, we'll have to forget about this option i think
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements