× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: move Readynas HDDs 1500 to 4200 or 3200 without dataloss

Salrus
Aspirant

move Readynas HDDs 1500 to 4200 or 3200 without dataloss

hi,

i have a readynas 1500 and was wondering if i can move the hdds to a empty 4200v1 or 3200v1 chassy without dataloss i am running out of space and i was wondering if its posable 

PS

also my readynas has the following specs can the ram be upgraded to 2GB or even 4GB as i have ECC DDR2 laying around even thogh i dont think the ram would improve performance

Model:ReadyNAS 1500 v1 [X-RAID2]

Firmware:RAIDiator 4.2.31 
Memory:1024 MB [6-6-6-24 DDR2 ECC]
Model: ReadyNAS RNRX441E|ReadyNAS 1500
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you already have the 4200 or 3200? Those units are pretty old now. There's no warranty for second hand purchases. The warranty is for the original purchaser from an authorised reseller.

We don't support 3rd party memory upgrades. If you do decide to try it it's at your own risk. Be sure to run at least a few passes of the memory test. Even if it passes there's a chance it may be incompatible.

Message 2 of 6
Salrus
Aspirant

Well I don't have the 3200 or 4200 but I was offered it for the price of shipping so it maybe a upgrade over the 1500 and I thought the speed increase would be beneficial but I just upgraded the HDDs in the 1500 so I would like to move the HDDs and the data to the new unit aka pull drive 1-4 and put it in 1-4 in the 3200 or 4200
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The v1 is limited to a max of 2TB disks in bays 5-12. If you're using X-RAID2 and already using higher capacity disks then you'll need to do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything) with disks in place to be able to use bays 5-12. To expand an X-RAID2 volume you need to use disks with at least as much capacity as the highest capacity disks you are using.

Also in a 12-bay rackmount it's important to use enterprise disks. Disks targeted at consumers aren't designed for the vibrations etc. that you'd get in a 12-bay rackmount unit.

Message 4 of 6
Salrus
Aspirant

So if I have 4x 2tb Seagate ironwolf I can move them without factory resetting?
Is there any other instructions i need to know or can I just unpack the unit move the drives and power it on or do I have to do something special

PS I am not aposed to buying a new nas but I want to make data transition easy and 4.2 to 6.0 migration is impossible I am told so I am stuck with 4.2
Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Best practice is to first put a spare drive in the new unit and update the OS to the same version as the old.  Or, if you have not been keeping current on the old, update it to whatever is in the new chassis.  Then, yes, just swap the drives with the power off and power on.

This is a time where you may want to consider upgrading to OS6, which the 3200 and 4200 can run but your 1500 can't (due to it's 32-bit processor).  Yes, doing that will wipe the drives, but it puts you in a better place for the future, IMHO.  But you should already have a backup from which you can recover the data if that data is important to you.

One thing to consider also is that unless you have two 12-bay units, recovering from a hardware failure will be troublesome.  One thing that can make that easier is to use two 6-drive arays instead of one 12-drive one.  That way, the more readilly avaiialbe 6-bay units can be used for data recovery. I did just that until I got a second 4200.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements