× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: new imac has problems with files on ReadyNAS

twolcrazy
Tutor

new imac has problems with files on ReadyNAS

I had to replace an imac with a new one restored from a backup on a ReadyNAS (RN312 firmware 6.10.3).  Things work ok but MSWORD is not able to write to the shared folders on the ReadyNAS.  EXCEL does not have a problem.  Adobe PhotoShop does not have a problem.  Jobs running in LauchControl are also having problems.  I have openned up permissions on the imac but that did not help.   

imac 27" 8-core i9, 64GB memory, macOS 10.14.6

Help please!

Thanks,

John (aka twolcrazy)

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7
twolcrazy
Tutor

Update!  I fixed the problem with LaunchControl jobs.  It was caused by a name change in the hard drive that I did not catch.  Simple correction.  

A chat session with Apple to fix permissions on the iMac did not resolve the problems with Finder and MSWord.  The only other suggestion was to restore data with Migration Assistant but I do not see how that can fix a permission problem with Finder write permission on the ReadyNAS.  

Thanks,

John (aka. twolcrazy)

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Are you using the same user credential with Finder as you were using with the old imac

Message 3 of 7
twolcrazy
Tutor

With Apple support help we identified that there is a problem with the migrated user id.  It is not known as of yet what is wrong with the user id nor if there is a way to repair the problem.  The issue is being escalated to a software engineer.  In the meantime the solution is to create a new admin user and migrate (by hand) all the files from the corrupted user to the new one.  That means setting up all the apps again.  Yuck!

In answers to your question about credentials, I personnally do not know enough.  I can log into the server through the web-browser interface and through the Finder, but Finder cut and paste does not work correctly; MSWord cannot write a file to the server and MSOutlook cannot copy an email attachment to the server.  If you have some thoughts they would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John (aka twolcrazy)

Message 4 of 7
twolcrazy
Tutor

Actually I am using the same user id as with the old mac.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

In general, when you access the NAS using SMB, the PC (Mac or Windows) will normally present a username/password to the NAS.

• If the username matches one used by a NAS account, then if the password isn't correct, then access is denied altogether.  If the password is correct, then access depends on the network and file permissions for that user (in the NAS share settings).
  • If the username doesn't match one used by a NAS account, then access depends on whether anonymous access is allowed for the share or not.

I'm not a mac owner, so I don't have any experience on how to manage credentials on the mac.  I do know that when you first connect, you do have the opportunity to enter the username/password, and the option to save those credentials in keychain.  https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-connect-your-macos-device-to-an-smb-share/

I believe you can also see them by from finder, by using the menu select "Go", then "Utilities", then "Keychain Access"

If you never set up a user account on the ReadyNAS, then I suggest you first do that (putting that user in the default users group).  That user should automatically have access to all the public shares.  

Then use that username/password in finder (updating keychain if necessary).  That should give you write access to the shares.

Message 6 of 7
DaydreamVoid
Aspirant

A chat session with Apple to fix permissions on the iMac did not resolve the problems with Finder and MSWord.  The only other suggestion was to restore data with Migration Assistant but I do not see how that can fix a permission problem with Finder write permission on the ReadyNAS.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements