× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new user folder not visible in Home folder

Theo1956
Aspirant

new user folder not visible in Home folder

i have created two accounts (Theo and the other is Joy) with the same specs, but i only see one in the home folder, whats wrong?

OS 6.6.1, windows 10 desktop and ios 10 tablet

Capture.PNG

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Theo1956
Aspirant

Re: new user folder not visible in Home folder

I didnt delete or renamed it, i never saw a folder with Admin, but after a restart of the NAS the folder Joy was created

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Theo1956,

Try typing \\ followed by the LAN IP of the NAS then add \Joy, this should prompt for a login, user Joy login credentials.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
bedlam1
Prodigy

@Theo1956you seem to be missing a home folder named "admin" which is placed there by the system,

did you rename it Theo or delete it ? Bad idea if you did

Message 3 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Has Joy logged on yet?  The folder is not created until the user logs on once.

Message 4 of 11
Theo1956
Aspirant

I did that and i got the login, but it said access denied, after a restart this morning i can login and it works, thanks

Message 5 of 11
Theo1956
Aspirant

I didnt delete or renamed it, i never saw a folder with Admin, but after a restart of the NAS the folder Joy was created

Message 6 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

While the home folder for admin shows up on my 6.6.0 NASes, it does not on those running 6.6.1.  In fact,  there isn't even one there when I look via SSH.

Is this a bug, or is this Netgear telling us it's a bad idea to use that directory?  If it's intentional, what about those who upgrade to 6.6.1 and that directory isn't empty?

Message 7 of 11
bedlam1
Prodigy

I have an admin user on my legacy Pro 4 running 6.6.1, which was set up by the system

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

All home user folders (including admin) are created when you first log in using that user's credentials using  SMB.  If you don't ever do that, then they aren't created.

Message 9 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, that explains it.  I didn't knwo the "via SMB" restriction.  But what about users who normally use AFP?  Shouldn't they get one, too?  I don't normally log in via SMB using the admin account.  Many others may never do that, either.  But I have used the "Windows timestamp" method for some backups, which probably does an SMB login and resulted in the admin folder on some devices.  The ones running 6.6.1 are just for testing (unless another goes down), so I've done no backup jobs with them.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But what about users who normally use AFP?  Shouldn't they get one, too? 

In my opinion they should, but since I don't use AFP myself I can't confirm that they do.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements