× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

no network after lightning strike

StephenB
Guru

Re: no network after lightning strike

@Sinegraf wrote:

NV + v2 RAID had the latest available software for that model ..
Now I don't know if it meant X-RAID gibbrich ..
If it has X-RAID, it is probably the "writing order" that is special
the writing order can be affected by "parity delay"
Someone who knows if it is 100% normal (RAID5 standard) or a separate secret rule?

Your NAS uses software RAID (mdadm).  XRAID is layered on top of mdadm - it manages RAID groups for you automatically (which allows for expansion of the array).  But underneath it is just mdadm - there is nothing proprietary about the on-disk structures. 

FWIW, it sounds like R-studio isn't finding the mdadm superblock. It's possible that the superblock was corrupted when the lightning stuck.  Though I'd have expected an error on the LCD panel if that were the case. 

As I said earlier, I don't know what parameters are used when the array is created.  

@Sinegraf wrote:

can ReclaiMe manage NETGEAR NAS?

Folks have used it for OS-6 ReadyNAS (which uses the BTRFS file system). I don't recall seeing it used for OS-5, but it likely would work.

The free tool I pointed you too will only find the RAID parameters.  The paid version is needed to recover files.  However, you can alternatively download the paid version, and see if it can recovery anything before you actually purchase it.

You could also contact R-Studio support, they might know the parameters used by your NV+ v2.

Message 26 of 29
Sinegraf
Guide

I need to study mdadm...   🙂
it found some mdadm blocks, on the "volyme" but they seem "locked" ..

Thx, Then I have a guide on how it might be possible to open..

Message 27 of 29
Sinegraf
Guide

Short description, for RStudio
forget to try to create traditional "virtual" RAID5 and similar..
concentrate on opening the mdadm volyme, and let RStudio scan the entire volume, The information on how it is created will be found when scanning..  for me, the scan of 8TB took 25 hours
when you choose recover, turn off exporting "hidden / extended attribute's"
expect 15-20 hours per TB

Great tips for those with NAS as the guarantee gone out 😉

Message 28 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@Sinegraf wrote:

concentrate on opening the mdadm volyme, and let RStudio scan the entire volume, The information on how it is created will be found when scanning..  for me, the scan of 8TB took 25 hours
when you choose recover, turn off exporting "hidden / extended attribute's"
expect 15-20 hours per TB

Thanks for sharing this info.

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements