× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

(null) folders and invalid file errors.

BigWiggles
Aspirant

(null) folders and invalid file errors.

I had a quick browse and couldnt find anyone with this problem, so apologies if it has been answered before.

Some of the folders on my RNDU4000 automatically renamed themsef to (null). On my pc, the folders and everything in them look fine, but on my tablet and tv its null and some of the files inside are missing. I copy pasted the folder, and then it wasnt null anymore, and the files returned. But now i have a null folder still.

Also, every time i watch a movie on my tv, about two minutes before it ends i get invalid file error. Every time, no matter the movie. I can then resume watching it, but the error gets annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 7
a_burger_with_f
Aspirant

Re: (null) folders and invalid file errors.

Have you tried to restart the service?
just disable and re-enable it.
do you get the error if you open the movie on your pc? or does everything seem to work fine from your pc
Message 2 of 7
BigWiggles
Aspirant

What do you mean by restart the service? The nas? Its been restarted many times.

Yes everything is fine from pc, but on my tv and tablet i get both the null and invalid file errors.
Message 3 of 7
a_burger_with_f
Aspirant

if you go to frontview then services you will see the protocols used to access the device uncheck the box and hit apply it will disable it then check the box and hit apply this restarts the service
Message 4 of 7
nbhms
Aspirant

I am seeing this error through ReadyDLNA media streaming. Here is what happens - if ReadyDLNA is set to automatically update database, and you add a new video to a folder with other videos already in it, and then go to your DLNA client and browse the ReadyNAS through DLNA, you will now see two folders - one named "(null)", which will contain all the previous video files, and the original folder, which will have only the new file in it. If you select "rescan media files", it fixes the issue. It will randomly come back in the future though. A little annoying since it takes quite a while to do a scan on my original NV.

Has only started recently though, not sure what is going on. I've been running on 1.0.25 for quite a while and it did not show this behaviour until recently. Rebooting the ReadyNAS has no effect, only a "rescan media files" fixes it.
Message 5 of 7
BigWiggles
Aspirant

Still getting these errors.
I tried restarting the services AND a re-scan of the media.

Also another problem. When trying to rename folders, I get an error saying files/folder are being used by a program when it is definitely not. So to rename a folder, I have to make a new folder, move all the files into it, restart the NAS and then delete the folder.

Any help?
Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

On the rename problem, I've found that you can generally do the rename [or delete] through the web interface (http://nas/folder/)
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements