× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: old firmware manually updated to newest now stuck in booting

xcrmd
Aspirant

old firmware manually updated to newest now stuck in booting

I picked up an old ReadyNAS running firmware 6.1.9. I wasn't able to connect to the internet with it so I downloaded the latest firmware and did a manual update. I failed to see the note saying it should be a stepped update to certain firmware versions first. Now the unit seems to be stuck at 'booting'. It says not to load older FW versions, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

In most cases, the warning about going backwards only means for retaining an active volume.  If you don't mind starting over, you can usually go backwards without an issue by first doing a USB recovery then a factory default without allowing the NAS to boot in between.

But, the reason for the warnings on those specific updates is not known to me, and I can't recommend you try it.  If those updates also mess around with the U-Boot, then it's not the usual case.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

In most cases, the warning about going backwards only means for retaining an active volume.  If you don't mind starting over, you can usually go backwards without an issue by first doing a USB recovery then a factory default without allowing the NAS to boot in between.

But, the reason for the warnings on those specific updates is not known to me, and I can't recommend you try it.  If those updates also mess around with the U-Boot, then it's not the usual case.

Message 2 of 4
xcrmd
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. I was able to get it to boot back on the 6.1.9 and factory reset it. Still can't connect to the internet but I can take it from here. Thanks again.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm
Virtuoso

Not connecting to the internet probably means that the DNS settings are not set correctly. If you set a static I.P. you need to make sure that DNS servers are specified correctly.

You should update first to 6.2.5. You may then as a one-off need to use the debian .deb package in ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum to update to 6.5.2. You should then be able to update normally from there

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements