× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: pdf files issues in Ready NAS

JDi
Aspirant
Aspirant

pdf files issues in Ready NAS

Current firmware 6.10.0

Very simple set up, NAS and 2 computers with full access.

I've been using the same unit, same computers and same software, I created a pdf file from QuickBooks using CutePDF Writer irectly into a shared folder in my NAS, I was able to open the pdf with no problem, then emailed t to one of my contacts and they also were able to open it, a week later I look for the same file in my NAS and size is 0 KB, obviouly the file can't open becasue it doesn't contain any data...Checked log files inside NAS, no errors, no power issues, nothing weird. 

Notes: I have created pdf files the same way in the past and didn't see any problem before.

Any comments will be appreciated

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Have you only seen this the one time?

Did you look in the log zip file for errors?

Message 2 of 10
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi @JDi 

The filesystem of the NAS will do checksumming of files. This means that when a file is written or changes (writing occurring) then the filesystem will do a checksum of that file post writing. Think of it like a hashed number of the file. The filesystem then stores this number in metadata. Next time the file is requested, the filesystem will run a hash of the file and compare against the hashed number in metadata. The two numbers should match as the file should not have changed. That is basically what checksumming does.

If the checksumming fails that means data corruption - i.e. changes to the file that a user did not request.

I doubt this is file corruption if it only happened once. More likely a client or program that did this.

Please keep an eye on it and if it happens again, let us know.

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
JDi
Aspirant
Aspirant

it happened already 3 or 4 times, with different files on different folders...I did check the log files but no errors found.

Message 4 of 10
JDi
Aspirant
Aspirant

It can't be a user because it already happened 3 or 4 times with files that only 1 user have access (myself) ... again it just heppened....after creating a pdf file size 180 Kb, I emailed it as an attachment from NAS, and today (2 days later) the same file shows 0 Kb inside the NAS, however the person I sent it to, send me a copy and that copy is good, so it is definetely happening inside NAS

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@JDi wrote:

it happened already 3 or 4 times, with different files on different folders...I did check the log files but no errors found.

Did you look in the log file zip, or just browse with the admin web ui?  There's a lot more info in the log zip.

Do you have strict sync turned on in the share?  If not, try turning it on and see if the behavior changes.

Message 6 of 10
JDi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did check detailed logs, but no errors found, I strongly believe it was an update on my NAS, I didn't have this problem before and nothing has changed, except the firmware on my NAS, can I remove the last (or last 2) firmware without losing data?? Any Netgear tech that can offer some info here?? All help is much appreciated.

Message 7 of 10
Nycom
Aspirant

I am also having this issue.

User saves PDF to the NAS.

They open fine, and then when they go back to them later they show 0KB.

Did anyone get a fix for this?

Model: RN212D22|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 8 of 10
JDi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey! it looks like nobody in the community cares about this issue or nobody know...let's compare my situation with yours...are you by any chance syncing the NAS with Dropbox or G drive??

I am using the NAS 212

Firmware 6.10.0

under cloud services I am backing up using Dropbox with Sync Direction: Upload local storage changes only

and also backing up with Gdrive with Bidirectional Sync

No Apps installed and no automatic backup has been set up

Message 9 of 10
Nycom
Aspirant

Hi,

I am also using NAS 212

Running latest F/W as i updated it yesterday.

We are also running Google Drive with Bidirectional Sync

Also running no Apps.

We do have a USB Backup attached to run daily local backup.

We have many customers with this setup, however it just seems to be this 1 NAS causing issues.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements