× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: populating a RN316 with Seagate 10tb drives

pgjscottieuk
Guide

populating a RN316 with Seagate 10tb drives

Trying to fully populate the RN316 with 6 x Seagate ST10000NE0004 10TB drives i thought one at a time was the best way? it had 2 4TB drives installed swapped out bay one with first 10TB drive all well swapped out bay 2 resync took 24hrs but all good installed 3rd 10tb drive it is reshaping data ok all good but it is now showing 7493 hours 312 days till finnish it keeps going up by the way at this rate by the time i get the other discs installed the warranties will have run out any ideas any one

i was populating this fully to be a backup for my RN516 having fully populated the 316 successfully i was then going one by one vertically expand the 516 with the same drives or if the WD red pro 10tb have been approved use themfirstfirstsecondsecondthirdthird

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

If you need to retain use of the data on the NAS through the expansion process, then one drive at a time is the way to go.  If a backup, data wipe, and data restore is acceptable, doing a factory default with all 6 new drives installed and then restoring your backup is much faster.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If you need to retain use of the data on the NAS through the expansion process, then one drive at a time is the way to go.  If a backup, data wipe, and data restore is acceptable, doing a factory default with all 6 new drives installed and then restoring your backup is much faster.

Message 2 of 7
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you for your help problem sorted for the moment it is currently half way through resyncing last problem to deal with the drive in bay 6 isnt wasnt showing the blu light on the casing light but the drive dosn't show in the array decided to let the Nas finnish then try again to install the last drive any suggestions would be most appreciated

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The drive could be DOA.  Can you test it with a PC with SeaTools?

Message 4 of 7
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Volume finished Resyncing inserted drive blue light on casing has lit there is a beebing noise but the drive is not showing in the volume am waiting for a USB cable to plug the drive in what is the procedure here return to Amazon or contact Seagate for A warranty claim

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

And, of course, it was the last drive you used.  Had it been earlier, you could have put in another and if it worked, it would have been clear it was a drive problem.  Go with Amazon first for the return, Seagate may send you a refurb.  And be sure the cable you get can handle the big drive.

Message 6 of 7
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thanks for the help and advice initiated return to Amazon for a replacement keep you posted and thanks for all the help and support you guys give

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements