× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

power loss during rn104 balance, now will not boot

cemeyer2
Aspirant

power loss during rn104 balance, now will not boot

Hi

I have a RN104 with 4x4tb drives. I had a power outage while a balance was in progress, now the unit will not boot. What happens is the unit grabs a DHCP address, then assigns itself the static address I have configured, then will crash with an out of memory error (the kernel starts killing processes). I have had to manually reboot it now twice and it crashed both times because it attempted to do the balance again and ran out of memory again. Now it wont even boot up and just is stuck on "booting". I currently have it running a disk test which has been going for 48 hours, but not sure where to go from here.

Anyone else encounter anything similar?
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: power loss during rn104 balance, now will not boot

Do you have a backup?

Perhaps try the volume read-only boot menu option? I don't think a balance would be possible on a read-only volume.
Message 2 of 4
cemeyer2
Aspirant

i was able to get it to boot in read only, everything else fails. I am currently in the process of moving the data off of the 104 and onto the new synology 415+ that I bought to replace it. brtfs is not stable enough to be used on a device like a 104 that has so little compute resources. ill do a factory default on the 104 once all the data is off of it then use it for archival storage (low rw tps).

The logs showed that the system was running out of memory during the balance and the kernel was killing processes to try to stay alive. I added more swap space, but it did not help. 512mb of memory is not enough, netgear should have been smarter and proactively disabled features on hardware that was known to not support it.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After you have copied all the data off but before you do a factory reset are you able to send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my signature)?

Or if you have already downloaded the logs zip file could you send it now?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements