× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

questions about backups and increasing storage on Readynas Pro 6

Rburn99
Aspirant

questions about backups and increasing storage on Readynas Pro 6

I have a ReadyNas Pro 6 with the following information

WD5002 (6)
x-raid2
2287gb total / 92% used

VERTICAL EXPANSION
How to go about upgrading to 1tb disks? (I assume I would just start plugging in the new drives one by one letting each get assimilated first?)
Are there any different considerations to go to 2tb disks?

FIRMWARE
Is the current firmware version okay?
Does a firmware update lose data?

REDUNDANCY
How can I tell if it's set to single or dual redundancy? I would want it to be dual. I have read that to change from single to dual requires backing up the entire readynas, factory resetting it, then adding the new drives and restoring. So, if it is not in dual redundancy now and I need to do that... I am having problems and questions about backup and restore procedures.

BACKUP/RESET/RESTORE
When people mention backing up and restoring the data, what exactly is involved? Is it simply a matter of using Windows Explorer to drag and drop a copy of the shares out and then back to restore or do I need to use the Add a Backup Job feature? I do not see any Restore Job feature.
I cannot get Add a New Backup Job to work. No matter how I configure it, the Apply button at the bottom right remains greyed out.
  I choose Volume: c for the backup source. Path is empty (chose C from the Browse button)

As soon as I choose Remote: windows/NAS for the destination Apply greys out.

For Host I enter the WindowsMachineName/SharedFolderName and the username/password. Test connection succeeds.

I cannot split it up though (WindowsMachineName for host and SharedFolderName for path).

Even though source is set and destination is set (and test connection verifies it) I cannot click Apply. Attempts to navigate away prompt me that I have not saved my changes.

Thanks,

Rob

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
vandermerwe
Master

Re: questions about backups and increasing storage on Readynas Pro 6

Perhaps start by sorting out the backup situation.

Try entering the IP address of the PC in the host field.

Have you tried setting up a backup job involving just one share.  If it does not work , post the exact settings you are using and we will take a look.  Probably better to do it on a share by share basis. 

Secondly I would upgrade your firmware to 4.2.27.  This will not affect your data. 

Third thing depends on when last the unit was factory defaulted and possibly also what disks were in it.  Have a look at this article:

http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/06/22/why-you-might-want-to-factory-reset-a-x86-readynas/

You already know you will need to factory default to set dual redundancy ( done with raidar), and this is also probably the best way to do your expansion ( factory default with all disks in place and restore from backup)

The partition changes are a 3rd reason you ought to factory default.

So, start by getting your backup sorted out.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

Perhaps start by sorting out the backup situation.

Try entering the IP address of the PC in the host field.

Have you tried setting up a backup job involving just one share.  If it does not work , post the exact settings you are using and we will take a look.  Probably better to do it on a share by share basis. 

Secondly I would upgrade your firmware to 4.2.27.  This will not affect your data. 

Third thing depends on when last the unit was factory defaulted and possibly also what disks were in it.  Have a look at this article:

http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/06/22/why-you-might-want-to-factory-reset-a-x86-readynas/

You already know you will need to factory default to set dual redundancy ( done with raidar), and this is also probably the best way to do your expansion ( factory default with all disks in place and restore from backup)

The partition changes are a 3rd reason you ought to factory default.

So, start by getting your backup sorted out.

Message 2 of 5
Rburn99
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Using the IP did the trick. You can put machine/folder in the host field and it will successfully connect (but Apply remains disabled. Or you can put machine in the host field and folder in the path field but then it won't successfully connect unless you replace machine name with the ip of the machine. Seems like a bit of a bug in there somewhere but.. it's sorted! 🙂 The backup is running now.

Moving along... which of those folders contains all the configuration information? You had suggested backing up share by share. Would that have gotten the readynas configuration settings? (scrubbing, etc).

And, how do you create a restore job or accomplish a restore?

Message 3 of 5
vandermerwe
Master

No the config is not stored in a share. You can backup the config by going to the Settings tab in Frontview.  Restoring the config is easy and in the same place.

as for restoring a share, it's easiest to create the shares first then setup backup jobs to pull data to each share. Restoring is easier done share by share than trying to restore the entire volume, at least I think it is.

Troubleshooting backups and restore jobs is also easier if done share by share.

Message 4 of 5
Rburn99
Aspirant

okay I see the config backup and restore functions.

Looking at the shares, I also see c which appears to be a duplicate of all the other shares (or perhaps it's something like a catalog?). I am going to have to backup these shares to multiple locations due to their size. Just out of curiosity, can it be done through windows explorer? I can see all the data that way.  Or is there something extra going on behind the scenes?

You say to use the backup function to do the restores?  Just switch source and destination so it's really 'backing up' from the previous backup destinations to the readynas? And again.. do I need to stick with the backup utility or drag and drop with windows explorer? Asking because at least I would get a progress bar with windows explorer.

Now I will of course have to do the reset and restore after hours. So I will need to plan for a time when it can be done. Any idea how long it will take to format or whatever it needs to do to 6 1tb or 2tb disks before I can start restoring the data?

And thanks again for bearing with me and all my questions.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements